Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rough idle and cut out on cold start  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Dart289

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Lansdale
Re: Rough idle and cut out on cold start
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 03:00:26 PM »
ill have to find the paper work i got with the bike i could have sworn it said 14 volt battery but maybe i misread it, did think it was odd.
today it was 4 deg c, no misfire no stall. but i did have it on the trickle charger again last night.
the fact it seems intermittent concerns me. i think i'm going to start a log book as of today, ill update if/when i find a pattern.

continuing with my voltage thoughts

*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
Voltage is always higher when the bike is running, and that's normal. That is caused by the generator. When the bike is switched off, after couple of hours it normally drops down to 12-12,5 volts. If it drops below 12v, you should get the battery checked and recharged.
If I was in your place, I would bring the bike to the dealer and get it checked, because that behavior is not normal.
As a comparison - my 2020 usually shows 12,1 - 12,2 volts after sitting stationary overnight. Outside temperatures below 10 deg C and it starts and idles fine.
what RPM do you cruse at?  after brake in i have been keeping the rpms on the lower side 2500 - 3500rpm. But i think the battery might be charging better at or above 4,000rpms so i have been aiming there as of late. i do plan on putting on a temporary voltage gauge, just to see.
"Rubber side" - Down

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dart289 [+]
what RPM do you cruse at?  after brake in i have been keeping the rpms on the lower side 2500 - 3500rpm. But i think the battery might be charging better at or above 4,000rpms so i have been aiming there as of late. i do plan on putting on a temporary voltage gauge, just to see.

I cruise between 4000-6000 rpm's.
Voltage usually rises to charging level as soon as you crack the throttle open, and then it will be kept steady by a voltage regulator throughout the rpm range.
No need for temp voltage gauge, you can see the voltage through "My motorcycle" on your TFT - it shows the voltage in real time
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:52:21 PM by esso_sa »

Offline Dart289

• XR Member
  • Town: Lansdale
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2020, 04:34:16 PM »
hmm my original thought was 5-6k, since my 77 also rev's to 11k rpms and that's about were it made good voltage. thanks for the feedback.
i know about the info screen, i just hate having it up instead of rpms. also because it would be temp figured on putting it closer to eye level.

i will run all next week attempting not to go under 4k, and not use the charger. lets see if she acts up again.
i don't drive like grand dad, but i have been trying to figure out how they got 45miles per gallon. my average is around 36mpg on a day i try to get top mileage. but haven't seen anything under 30mpg.
"Rubber side" - Down

dysfunctional