Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance repair  (Read 1636 times)

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Stafford
Re: Insurance repair
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
Hi,  "Saga" has moved on a bit now, when I finally got a letter through from the other parties insurance, it gave me then option of not accepting the bike and getting the full assessment value. After deciding to go that way and buying another bike (White S1000XR 16 plate....coz somebody said they're quicker) it now turns out her insurance don't deal with bike salvage and the bikes back with my insurance :027:.  My insurance salvage team are on furlough still though, so will depend on whether they're interested in making an offer for the salvage or not....might end up with two bikes at this rate  :001:...Mrs isn't as smiley though!........Trixy stuff this insurance caper!

Offline Warree

• XR Member
  • Town: Pembury
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 08:51:12 PM »
Just so you know: Red is fastest  :038:

Offline BIKEAMA

• XR Member
  • Keep your best wheel forward.
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR Low
  • Town: Stockton CA
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 09:20:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Warree [+]
Just so you know: Red is fastest  :038:

Radar Red, gets too much attention.  :110:    :305:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 09:39:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcconnac [+]
Hi,  "Saga" has moved on a bit now, when I finally got a letter through from the other parties insurance, it gave me then option of not accepting the bike and getting the full assessment value. After deciding to go that way and buying another bike (White S1000XR 16 plate....coz somebody said they're quicker) it now turns out her insurance don't deal with bike salvage and the bikes back with my insurance :027:.  My insurance salvage team are on furlough still though, so will depend on whether they're interested in making an offer for the salvage or not....might end up with two bikes at this rate  :001:...Mrs isn't as smiley though!........Trixy stuff this insurance caper!

Jeez as if there isn’t enough scht going on with all that hassle as well.

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 10:46:38 PM »
Will be able to tell which colours faster when I eventually get out on the new one  :038:

This is the first time in 39 years of motoring that I've dealt with an insurance claim, so all a learning experience. All companies involved have been pretty good actually, only issues been communication across 4 companies involved, but considering the current situation, only to be expected.

Just hope these posts assist anybody else in a similar situation.

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 10:53:15 PM »
Now finally got confirmation from my insurance that the bike is coming back to me as a a Cat N repairable.   :037:

Let battle commence! Got to make space in the garage for a winter project now. Call me sentimental, but couldn't see the old girl go to the scrapyard for such a slow speed shunt, didn't even ask insurer what they would offer for the salvage. Will post progress as I go, will be looking to repair as much as possible rather than brand new parts that made the repair by insurers uneconomical. Watch this space :112:

Ian

Offline mcconnac

• XR Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2020, 10:58:50 PM »
So, shes now in the garage with the front end plastics stripped off.  Bearing in mind this was a bike valued at £8250 and deemed uneconomical to repair.
Replacement head light , and fairing parts =approx £750 (depending on $-£ exchange rate...all website parts people seem to be stateside) plus painting of red bits.
Forks - only minor cosmetic marking on upper (gold) tubes cleaned of all scuff markes with T cut,  - front fender mount on left fork was bent in - straightened (slowly ) by application of long metal tube :164:.  Jury's out on the front wheel till I can run it in the new bike,  looks fine to me (chalk marked up by assessors in two different places for a single, side glancing impact??,) think it may be previous due to UK potholes myself.  Know insurance has to do new for old and cover the repair labour, but surprised how little it takes to write off a bike! 

Anybody got experience of shipping of fairing parts from states to uk - parts look fairly fragile as separate items! 

Would prefer to source and pick up direct in the uk, where's best supplier in UK for fairing parts?

Ian

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
I’ve been lucky over the years shipping bits in from the US, but always found the best/easiest way is getting friends to bring back parts in hand luggage,the moment you get into postage and possible import duty things get silly.

It’s a waiting game with either UK eBay or German eBay, see on there it’s possible to buy a complete body kit,it’s a strange path you are going to be on because their is always a market for damaged repairable I see plenty of them but prices are always bottom basement because you never know what the hell you are getting into till it’s stripped to the bare bone.

Combine that with a modern day world of Kippers and Curtains PCP....... and you average joe runs a mile from a damage repairable, but if your in it for the long haul could well prove to be a bargain.