Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: American with travel questions to Ireland or England person  (Read 465 times)

Offline Darin D

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Bend, Oregon
Greetings! I'm an American who has never traveled overseas before. My wife and I are planning a 2021 trip to see TT races, Ireland, and England. I have several basic questions that really are hard to find answers to on the internet. Questions might be answered easier by someone who has been to the US but not necessary. For example, I can leave my house right now and run down to the shopping center and buy a pair of denim pants and shirt and be back in 20 minutes. Can you do this where you live? It may seem like a ridiculous question, like I live on another planet, but I'm trying to be prepared before I travel. I'm sure it's different in different areas, but interested in hearing what it's like where you live.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
Re: American with travel questions to Ireland or England person
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
That does seem like a strange question. The answer is yes. I would expect more choice nearby to where most people live in England (quite densely populated)  compared to where you are in Oregon (would love to visit there by the way).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:48:09 AM by Becksy »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:46:11 AM »
For England, yes, no problem as long as you are relatively close to a larger town or city which would have the appropriate shops you need  :305:
PSH

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
This is about England & Wales. Things are spaced out a bit more in Scotland if you will go there.

This is not an unusual question. Many British riders venturing 22 miles across the English Channel feel they need to take their entire home on a 7 day trip to France.

The British have even started calling shopping centres, malls! Walmart owns one of our largest supermarket chains (asda). As already stated, in Oregon you will probably be used to travelling a lot further than you need to travel in most of the UK & Ireland to go to a specific shop. BMW dealers will be less spread out than perhaps you are used to.

I had a friend from Maine come over last year and another from SoCal comes over most years. The former shipped his bike with Air Canada and the latter keeps a bike stored in Germany. The main thing I can pass on is to make sure you have bank cards that work with chip & PIN as you will not be able to use your card to pay otherwise. Some gas stations will be pay at pump and need a PIN enabled card. Reports from these guys is that they rarely had a problem last year but worth checking with your bank and maybe have new cards issued using the latest technology.

The other thing, if you are booking accommodation yourself for the Isle of Man, I hope you have already done it. As the TT was cancelled this year, many people have moved their bookings to 2021.

Oh, and if you can't find what you want locally, you can use Amazon Prime and have it delivered to your accommodation the following day.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
Does the OP mean England or does he mean the UK,us English can go too the shops and buy pants,but we are not allowed to cross the boarder into Wales yet.

What was said about TT bookings is very true assuming 2021 even they goes ahead, we have several friends who live on the IoM and hassle is getting there.... be it boat or plane.

Re going to Ireland include the NW200,this is the first year we have missed since 96 and it’s a very special place to go too with plenty to see and do before even getting around to the bike races.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »
You don't say if you are using a bike while over here?

If you are renting, and bringing your own gear - don't worry about the helmets being Snell and not EU, it won't be an issue.

Make sure you have some form of navigation, be it phone or satnav. You should be able to download a suitable app to your phone.
Look into sim-cards for your phones on a PAYG basis (FOR UK).  The Isle Of Man uses their own providers, so an IOM sim might be worthwhile for that period - they are pretty cheap to get.
Make sure you have travel insurance, including evacuation cover.  Make sure that the insurance covers holidays on motorcycles (if applicable) and that there are no cubic-capacity limits to that cover.   

You have plenty to plan   :028:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:21:41 PM by Mareng1 »

Offline Darin D

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Bend, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 04:42:28 PM »
Great replies from all! Thank you! I'm not planning on riding while over there, if I even get to go. I left out the Covid part intentionally, knowing it's like a gallon of water in your fuel tank at the moment. I'm hesitant to even make any reservations at this point. We started talking about this trip 2 years ago, before all went to hell. We may put this off another year, depending on how things go. Like some of you that are not allowed to cross borders, we are banned from Canada, at the moment. Some of the states are also quarantined or have specific requirements as well. Even our employers (I'm a nurse) can not return to work for 2 weeks if we travel out of state. If any of you ever have questions about coming over to this side of the pond for the first time, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks again.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 05:30:21 PM »
Just spoken to a mate who lives at Bradden(opposite the church) and they do not have a single case of Carona on the Island  :002: so that’s a start....

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 07:22:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Just spoken to a mate who lives at Bradden(opposite the church) and they do not have a single case of Carona on the Island  :002: so that’s a start....

A friend has lived near Ramsey, Isle of Man for nearly 2 years. He works for a company involved in their data collection and as you say, they have not had any new cases for some weeks. They are being ultra cautious about who they let in though...

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
Their current system is very simple off the boat or plane and they lock you up for two weeks and charge you a £1000 for the privilege, hence why other folks I know with homes there are not going back anytime soon.

dysfunctional