Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: R or XR  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Zagi23

• XR Junior
  • Town: Zagreb
R or XR
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:41:32 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Today I sold my VFR 800, and I'm thinking of buying a new bike. I'm thinking between R or XR. Most of my ride is in busy city traffic (alone) and several times in year I go on a road trip, cca 500km (most of the time with my wife). So I'm interested in your experience in city traffic agility but also the passenger comfort on road trip between these bikes. What are your suggestions?

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Re: R or XR
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:02:48 AM »
Thought about the R myself at one time.  The ergs on the XR are better for longer rides and pillion but you must try both and make up your....and her mind.  Guessing you will like the XR.
After all, there's nothing worse than an unhappy pillion on a long ride!!!   :002:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline alecg1

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: romford
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:31:57 AM »
Zagi,
As Grnmtvt siad you've really got to get out there and test ride in the area you want to use the bike, if you want to check out traffic then got to a dealer in the city centre . Making no comment about the size of ones lady wife but if she isn't contributing to to the household income by going up and down a cat walk she is not going to like the R.

I had a ZZR14 and needed to slow down a bit so went to the R, it was an absolutely fantastic bike; quicker to 100 than the Z but by 110 you knew were going quick so for me it served that purpose. Touring with a couple of quick additions as well no problem but not saying you would go all day on a motorway.

Its narrower than the XR and filters through traffic beautifully. I live on the edge and work in the middle of London, which can sometimes be nearly 26 miles of traffic. However the head angle is the same as the RR which you wouldn't want to put in traffic and that was its weak point the turning circle to go round or between things was awful; often not seen to far ahead because although a naked you are tipped forward. It is a very focussed bike and I don't think I ever went out on it and landing up going just for a ride it was always a blast.

The ergonomics on the XR are for me brilliant 6'2" ish. It gives a lovely elevated view of the road with comfortable arm leg relationship. The bars are wide but do just about clear the car mirrors, however the steering lock allows you to filter through the things you've seen already.

They both go stupidly fast but the XR is easier to do it on and will also allow you to relax, slow and enjoy the scenery when you want.

Take them both for a test ride the buy the one your wife wants.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:33:52 AM »
I traded my R for an XR, as the ergos are much better for my aching back! For longer trips it's better, and more relaxing to ride. The turning circle on the R is terrible as well. XR for me everytime.

Offline AussieJonathan

• XR Member
  • Town: Bayview, NSW, AU
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
My pillion certainly would recommend the XR. We didn't try the R as I also have a commuter bike. We often do around 700 Kms in a days ride and find it good on comfort and range. I have got a few add-on bits and if you get one I would recommend looking through the forums for posts on screens- I use a MSA and it made an improvement on wind noise and looks good.

Cheers

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:16:14 AM »
I had an R and loved it, but as others have said its no good for pillion whether your mrs is a lightweight or not. My mrs is fairly petite and she wasn't the least bit happy on the back.

The XR is a better fit for me especially at 6ft 3", its also just as quick and 'possibly' quicker in certain situations due to the riding position/view as its more relaxed ergos are very apparent compared to the R

The XR is a sport bike make no mistake, its not a nose down / arse up sports bike but having ridden track days for many years I'm pretty sure i could still stay in the fast group on the XR and run with a few of them. Ok its no super bike but far more than just 'capable' considering its size and other road/long distance capabilities.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »
If your thinking of an R then test ride a Tuono V4 APRC as well. Its the best supernaked out there still.

Offline Zagi23

• XR Junior
  • Town: Zagreb
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 04:09:38 PM »
Well, I finally decided - it will be XR :) And my wife is celebrating (and her ass too :)   :046:
I am waiting for racing red with dynamic and touring package, handguards and led daylight.
Delivery will be in about 40 days. I can't wait!!
I plan to buy  radiator and oil cooler guards and handlebar end weights.
Do you recommend something else from additional accessorize?

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 04:03:36 AM »
Congrats on the new bike.....you'll both like it.
Just in time for Spring!!  The cooler guards are definitely a must.   :305:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.