Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Stalls When Pulling Clutch At Speed  (Read 947 times)

Offline TBRD

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Maryland
Engine Stalls When Pulling Clutch At Speed
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
I have a few hundred miles on my 2020 S1000XR.  It has stalled on me about 4-5 times, twice today driving to work.  On today's ride it happened as I approached a stop light at the end of an off ramp from the interstate.  I pulled the clutch to downshift and blipped the throttle and it stalled.  This seems to be the pattern.  If I pull the clutch to downshift while slowing and blip it will cut out...not all the time but enough to be an issue.  Possibly a throttle body sync issue?  Perhaps it will stop after break in?  I am going to speak to the dealership when I take it in this weekend but was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar issue.  I couldn't find anything via the search function so hence the post.  Thanks!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Engine Stalls When Pulling Clutch At Speed
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:26:35 PM »
My guess it is more to do with emissions. If you are blipping the throttle to downshift and not letting the clutch out I think the ECU is just cutting fuel since the engine is not under load and the throttle is closed. Again, this is just my guess and could be completely off kilter.

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
It shouldnt do that - it must be faulty - I have had 3 XR's and done a total of nearly 50k miles and never had a bike stall in those circumstances. If it under warranty take it back.  :305:
PSH

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
I have not heard of this problem on any forum and certainly not on my bike.  Asking for info here never hurts, but you should take to the dealer for a real answer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:59:41 PM by runnerhiker »

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 08:55:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
If it under warranty take it back.  :305:

With it being a 2020, I imagine it would still be under warranty..! :001:

Lord Knobrot
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline TBRD

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 03:03:13 AM »
I set up a service appointment in August.  I couldn't make it stall driving home.  It was foggy out this morning but like most of these things no real clue.  I figure I will see how it does over the next 30 days and take it in in August if it is still an issue.  I will post a follow up when I have one.

Offline Logdoctor

• XR Junior
  • Town: Bullard, Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »
My 2020 XR is also stalling when coming to a stop. Can’t duplicate it. With 900 mile and the first service done, it stalled twice yesterday and once before the first service at 650 miles. Did you have your dealer check it? Did they find and solve the problem?  My dealer in Shreveport had not heard of the problem and did not report anything at the first service. This is a serious safety issue that deserves a recall or at least a service bulletin.

Offline TBRD

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:34:02 AM »
Take a look in this video if you have the time.  I did a montage of the stalling issue.  You can find that at the 4:53 mark. 

In short.  I haven't had the issue in over a month and half...going on two months.  I suspect there is a mapping issue that is impacted most in high heat/humidity.  The problem is either totally sorted or it will resurface next summer when properly hot.  For now, it has resolved itself. 

Offline Molsal

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:31:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
My guess it is more to do with emissions. If you are blipping the throttle to downshift and not letting the clutch out I think the ECU is just cutting fuel since the engine is not under load and the throttle is closed. Again, this is just my guess and could be completely off kilter.
My 2020 Street Tripple did exactly the same thing, after around 700 miles it never happened again, this was before an extened 600 mile first service due to covid, which was carried out at 1100 miles with Triumphs blessing.