Author Topic: Engine Stalls When Pulling Clutch At Speed  (Read 7315 times)

Offline PLDJ1000

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S 1000 XR
  • Town: Christiana, PA
Re: Engine Stalls When Pulling Clutch At Speed
Reply #50 on: September 30, 2021, 09:37:25 PM
Update...

Explained issue to dealer at service. Said they never heard of / or had this issue. They said they did reset some stuff and downloaded updates.

Bike stalled again today coming to stop sign. I was coming down a hill, let out the clutch and she almost bucked me off.

Just pulled into my garage and went through Doc's instructions with the GS911.

I'll Let you guys know if that works. If not, I'm going to try to find another BMW Dealer and try to figure out what to do next.

Offline AUXR1000

• XR Member
Reply #51 on: October 03, 2021, 07:57:42 AM
*Originally Posted by PLDJ1000 [+]
Update...

Explained issue to dealer at service. Said they never heard of / or had this issue. They said they did reset some stuff and downloaded updates.

Bike stalled again today coming to stop sign. I was coming down a hill, let out the clutch and she almost bucked me off.

Just pulled into my garage and went through Doc's instructions with the GS911.

I'll Let you guys know if that works. If not, I'm going to try to find another BMW Dealer and try to figure out what to do next.

There's no mention of this issue in BMW's bulletins. Going to another dealer will not mean that they will be able to resolve the issue, unless they know something that no one else does. I update the software regularly (did an update yesterday) in my bike to hopefully resolve this issue, the cold start backfiring and the bluetooth issues. None of which have been resolved, as of yesterday, Oct 2 2021. There may be something to come in November, not holding my breath though.
Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 07:59:43 AM by AUXR1000

Offline PLDJ1000

• XR Junior
Reply #52 on: October 03, 2021, 01:57:25 PM
Thanks for the info AUXR1000.

I did the GS911 reset and I'm gonna take her on a 1000 mile fall trip next week. When I get back I'll update you guys here.

I can’t replicate it for the dealer so they think I'm crazy and hurried me out the door.  My plan is to take it down to Bobs where they take the time to listen and deal with only BMW bikes.

After almost 2k miles I figured it only seems to happen when I'm driving around gently. I have never had it stall when I take her on a more spirited ride. Any other condition (type of fuel, air temperature, mode etc) doesn't seem to effect it.

Pat

Offline Sthap

• XR Junior
Reply #53 on: October 14, 2021, 02:13:50 AM
Picked up my XR in June, after about a month, had it stall on me a few times.
Noticed it only happened if I chopped the throttle and pulled in the clutch at the same time when coming to a rapid stop
Once I stop doing the clutch and throttle chop at the same time I haven’t had a stall

Offline PLDJ1000

• XR Junior
Reply #54 on: October 14, 2021, 12:51:41 PM
Sthap,

Thanks for the info. I’ll give it a try.

I took a trip and it still stalls so I’m taking it to the dealer to see what we can figure out.

I have to say, this is my only serious issue with the bike. But it’s a safety issue, it’s not something I’ve experienced on any of my other BMW motorcycles (including 2 XRs) and I paid a premium price for something that almost dumped me off in an intersection.

I’ll keep you guys posted. 

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #55 on: October 14, 2021, 03:56:56 PM
When you cut the throttle it stops the fuelling to enable engine braking. So in other words what keeps the engine turning is the weight of the bike and you pushing it. When you pull the clutch that's gone. The electronics should pick that up and start fueling again, but if you pull the clutch late (at a low rpm), it could be too late. Try pulling the clutch earlier, and/or play with the engine brake settings. I must admit I have no clue what that does, but could be how much partial fueling it still gives.

Or pull the clutch initially slower. The switch on the clutch lever will tell the bike to start fuelling, and the clutch should then still be engaged. Can't test it, mine is written off in an accident, new one ordered. Can't make my mind up about keyless again, hate and love it :012:

Offline PLDJ1000

• XR Junior
Reply #56 on: October 16, 2021, 11:51:19 AM
Salem,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you explained and that seemed to actually worked for me. I took a 400 mile trip this past week and it only stalled once. I will just have to be more aware of my down shifting and clutch work. Love the bike and can’t wait to get some more riding in before winter gets here.

Pat

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #57 on: October 16, 2021, 02:11:05 PM
 :062: I dug a bit more into it and it seems the engine braking settings control how much the throttle flap is closed. Makes sense, as there is no compression braking, the compressed air 'powers' the engine again on the downstroke. The braking is on how difficult it is to suck the air in. Thus on pulling the clutch fast on a high braking setting, the engine will continue to decelerate fast before electronics open the throttle and start fuelling. On a low braking setting it decelerates less fast, and as the throttle is already partially open it ought to react faster

Offline Sthap

• XR Junior
Reply #58 on: October 16, 2021, 05:47:24 PM
My engine braking is set at 1

I’m also using the clutchless down shifting a lot more, and I haven’t had an issue for months