Author Topic: Engine Stalls When Pulling Clutch At Speed  (Read 9996 times)

Offline PLDJ1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S 1000 XR
  • Town: Christiana, PA
Re: Engine Stalls When Pulling Clutch At Speed
Reply #60 on: November 29, 2021, 02:50:34 AM
CharlieMac,

My 2021 has been the same. Dealer even told me the same thing. I did the calibration with my GS911 as the guys on this thread instructed. I have about 2500 miles on her right now and the stalling seems to be way less frequent. However, I’ve also changed my shifting habits, use the quick shifter much more and the temperature here in good old PA has dropped considerably so…

I know that may not be much help but just wanted to let you know that I’m in the same boat but it seems better.

Pat

Offline CharlieMac

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: WNC
Reply #61 on: November 29, 2021, 04:04:52 AM
The engine stalling has never happened when I have been using the quick shifter.  The engine stalling only happens when I am engaging the clutch and down shifting from speed when I am coming to a stop for example at a traffic light.  The stalling doesn't happen all of the time, but is intermittent.

This stalling issue is the only disappointment that I have with the bike, and by using the quick shifter I can eliminate the issue as the engine hasn't stalled while I have been downshifting.  The only other complaint that I have had is the seat and I fixed the uncomfortable seat with a revolution seat from Sargent Cycles.
Charles

Offline RedFlame99

• XR Junior
Reply #62 on: November 30, 2021, 11:03:08 PM
I had the same issue on my new 2020 S1000XR..... Roll into a stop sign or traffic lights fast and as soon as I clutched in the bike would cut out.

This was a continuous issue, occurring 3-4 times per ride. The issue was rectified when I switched my Fuel as per the recommendation of my dealers service manager!

Here was the resolve.  The issue seems to be based on the ethanol content of the fuel being used. Even though I was using the highest octane grade, the fuel that I was using (Petro Canada and/or Esso) had a hidden Ethanol content. I was told to switch to the highest grade of Shell fuel as it was said to have a guaranteed ZERO ethanol content. After two complete tank fills of the Shell fuel, the problem disappeared.

Apparently a software fix is in the works from BMW.

Offline PLDJ1000

• XR Member
Reply #63 on: December 02, 2021, 01:12:57 AM
RedFlame 99,

Thanks for the info… That does make some sense. I have been running non-ethanol fuel in it from time to time so that may account for the inconsistencies on the stalling. I will use it now and see if that works.  Finding non-ethanol with high octane is another hurdle I will have to work on…

Pat

Offline AUXR1000

• XR Member
Reply #64 on: December 02, 2021, 08:36:55 AM
I never use fuel containing ethanol, I only ever use the highest grade fuel. I have had my bike running the latest software from BMW and regularly carried out adaption resets, throttle resets etc and none of this has made any difference. I have read elsewhere that a certain setting of the hill hold will stop it from happening, this is also not true. The only thing that prevents it from happening is clutchless downshifting. I have no car, so my bike has been my daily commute since purchase in Nov 2020, I have done 17,000klms. I can induce the fault when I like, regardless of fuel brand, ambient temp, speed, gear selected and throttle position.

Offline PLDJ1000

• XR Member
Reply #65 on: December 02, 2021, 12:11:28 PM
AUXR1000,

Thanks for the reply.

While I’m trying to sort this out I suspect you are right, the only way to get this to stop is the shifting timing or using the quick shift. I’ve changed my shift/clutch timing and it hasn’t happened. (Which is rather annoying to me, as the owner of over 40 motorcycles and which none of them have or had this issue…)

Pat

dysfunctional