Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: D-ESA suspension for heavy rider  (Read 1908 times)

Offline stubble

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
D-ESA suspension for heavy rider
on: July 13, 2020, 12:24:30 AM
Hi, have an S1000R which is a fantastic bike but I'm looking at the new XR for a more comfortable riding position. I ride hard (including track) and I weigh 280 lbs. My S1000R is at its limit with the stock ESA full preload to get proper sag measurements. - The problem is that people who put stiffer springs in tend to have valving issues, the stock valving just can't keep up with a stiffer spring. I like the adjustability of ESA so prefer to keep it all functional and live within its limits.

How do bigger XR owners feel about stock ESA for their weight? Are the spring rates adequate to get sag dialed in? Can you adjust preload on the XR like I can on the R? And how about two-up? My pillion is smaller but the two of us and luggage do add up.

Thanks in advance.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: D-ESA suspension for heavy rider
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:05:48 AM
G'day and welcome. unlike the SingleR, the XR does not have a pre-load adjustment on either the forks or rear shock. I have gone with a Tractive Shock on the rear(built to my weight and riding style and keeps the D-ESA) and a Tractive cartridge up front, as well as getting 'stiffer' fork springs from Wilbers. I probably weight in around 250 in gear, don't track the bike, but ride aggressive street in the NC mountains.

On my 14 R I could just get the rear SAG set as per the manual, but the front never came close.

Offline Watshot

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:59:01 AM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
the XR does not have a pre-load adjustment on either the forks or rear shock.

XR ESA has three preload settings: solo/with luggage/pillion & luggage. Plus two damping levels: road or dynamic.

I can’t help with solo opinion as I’m average weight, but with full luggage and my pillion we’re sometimes pushing the maximum permissible weight limit and find it’s comfortable and still rides well. Subjective to what your personal expectations may be though.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 04:08:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]
XR ESA has three preload settings: solo/with luggage/pillion & luggage. Plus two damping levels: road or dynamic.

I can’t help with solo opinion as I’m average weight, but with full luggage and my pillion we’re sometimes pushing the maximum permissible weight limit and find it’s comfortable and still rides well. Subjective to what your personal expectations may be though.

The R has Manual pre-load adjusters on top of the right fork and the rear shock (as well as the settings you mentioned). there is no procedure in the XR manual to set pre-load(like there is in the 14 R manual) for both the rear shock and the front forks.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 06:17:12 AM
When bought mine in 16 ordered a non ESA bike,took a few weeks too turn up but certainly no regrets,run Wilbers on the rear.

Offline stubble

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 02:52:47 PM
Thanks for the responses. Simon how do you compare the two bikes? Is the XR what you were looking for after the R?

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 04:50:46 PM
*Originally Posted by stubble [+]
Thanks for the responses. Simon how do you compare the two bikes? Is the XR what you were looking for after the R?

I am lucky to still have both in the garage, but I have to say if Iwas to only have 1 bike it would be the XR. Don't get me wrong, the R is a hoot to ride and puts a smile on my face, but I am sore and aching at the end of a day. The XR does anything the R does, but with way more comfort. When I ride the XR in the summer, I miss the 'nakedness' and airflow of the R (it's in the 90's now for a couple months), But I am working on a 'bikini' screen to give me more flow inthe summer months on the XR.

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Triple Blk
  • Town: Essex
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 02:35:06 PM
Hi, I am 6'1" and around the 280lb mark and although I loved the XR I just couldn't get it to handle right for me and ended up swapping it for a R1250GSA.

I know the XR handles well for most people, but for me (or just my bike?) I really struggled around the lanes. Trying to go at more than say 20 degrees of lean I had to put so much pressure on the inside bar to hold the corner, and was constantly going wide and onto the wrong side of the road (please, no patronising comments telling me I can't ride). I tried all setups of ESA, dropping the forks 25mm etc, but nothing worked for me - never tried new tyres, and beginning to think it might have been them. Do other big riders have this issue on the XR or was it just mine?  :006:

I get straight on my K16GT and R1250GSA and both handle superbly and I can get over 45 degrees of lean with no drama - probably get near it on my old Triumph Super 3 as well!

If I could get an XR to handle as well well as the GSA I would go back to one for my fun  :164:

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Thessaloniki
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 02:43:49 PM
Change springs, and tires from sport touring to sport. DESA will deal with rebound for your weight.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti

Offline bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 04:35:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
- never tried new tyres, and beginning to think it might have been them. Do other big riders have this issue on the XR or was it just mine?

Whilst I didn't experience anything like you with the handling, mine felt a lot more placed and trustable once I'd switch from the bridgestones that came as standard.

dysfunctional