Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: D-ESA suspension for heavy rider  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Saint

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Centreville, VA
Heavy Rider
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 04:45:19 PM
I'm 6'4" 250lbs, my wife is 5'4" 120 lbs, and we ride two-up most of the time without luggage, and no issues.  I've ridden the RR on local roads and track-side, and the R on local roads.  I love the RR and the R, however for our two-up riding the XR is the right bike due to the more vertical positioning. 
Saint

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: D-ESA suspension for heavy rider
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 06:45:50 PM
250lbs in gear and no issues for me. Have run Conti Road Attack 3, Metzeler M7RR, and now have a set of Shinko Verge(I have to say that I am quite impressed with these).

Offline Fatboy65

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR gen1
  • Town: Suffolk
Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 10:24:13 PM
 Hi I’m a 6ft 175kg rider I changed my tires to Michelin road5’s and found bike handles much better I also run it in passenger +luggage response is much better ,not perfect but much much better than standard . I was advised buy a local suspension expert that just putting the correct weight springs in doesn’t work as some one else on hear said it messes with the calving & shining in the forks and shocks . On my old gsa I ran with Ohlins front and rear and did away with the esa1 ,handling was amazing but it was £2,000 😗😔🤪👍

Offline Crosshairs

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 01:27:16 AM
*Originally Posted by Fatboy65 [+]
Hi I’m a 6ft 175kg rider I changed my tires to Michelin road5’s and found bike handles much better I also run it in passenger +luggage response is much better ,not perfect but much much better than standard

at 175kg, you really need to be in passenger plus luggage setting....  :001:

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 07:27:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Fatboy65 [+]
"it messes with the calving & shining in the forks and shocks".

"Calving and shining"..??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline AdzventureXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR
  • Town: Incheon City
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 02:05:48 AM
I'm 195cm and 110kg. I push my gen 1. On aggressive road the suspension was OK, more came down to rubber. On track rear was wallowing, not much front end feeling. You will likely need to change any bikes suspension if you are going to be aggressive. 85kg setup on any bike going to be soft. Need to budget it in.

I tried all settings for esa and finally chose to go full manual. There are a few posts about this already.

Not sure about gen2 suspension, I sat on one and felt similar.
Life. RIDE. Adzventure
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
Enjoy my XR videos

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 11:41:58 AM
190cm and 90kg with gear here. I ride sporty as well with braking up to 1.1 m/s2 on the TFT. I've put tie wraps on the gen1 and gen2 to measure, and have 10mm of telescopic fork left (the shiny bit). Doesn't feel like it's bottoming out, anyone know if there's a rubber stop or some other mechanism to give a high progressive rate close to the end of travel? The 10mm is pretty consistent which makes me wonder

Offline Antares

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 12:10:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
190cm and 90kg with gear here. I ride sporty as well with braking up to 1.1 m/s2 on the TFT. I've put tie wraps on the gen1 and gen2 to measure, and have 10mm of telescopic fork left (the shiny bit). Doesn't feel like it's bottoming out, anyone know if there's a rubber stop or some other mechanism to give a high progressive rate close to the end of travel? The 10mm is pretty consistent which makes me wonder

There always is, the rate and height though, not sure.

Offline lospsi

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR 2015
  • Town: Athens
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 01:19:57 PM
*Originally Posted by AdzventureXR [+]
I'm 195cm and 110kg. I push my gen 1. On aggressive road the suspension was OK, more came down to rubber. On track rear was wallowing, not much front end feeling. You will likely need to change any bikes suspension if you are going to be aggressive. 85kg setup on any bike going to be soft. Need to budget it in.

I tried all settings for esa and finally chose to go full manual. There are a few posts about this already.

Not sure about gen2 suspension, I sat on one and felt similar.

I'm almost the same in dimensions (1.97m and 108kg) and I find the XR Gen1 very capable of sport riding without much compromise. Haven't tracked in yet but with Michelin PR5 and road settings in D-ESA (preload set on rider with luggage, I found that it helps rear end to be settled higher) I enjoyed some spirited riding on the road. That said, I'm not a hard braker, rather keeping smooth lines with as much corner speed I can. Oh, my bike also sits 3-4cm lower in the front triple clamp.