Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Track day at Bedford Autodrome UK  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Track day at Bedford Autodrome UK
on: July 14, 2020, 12:42:20 PM
Has anyone done a track day at Bedford Autodrome?

Any good?

I've just booked for the 6th August :007:
going to take my gopro and a 365 as well we'll see how that works out.

Just one little fly in the mix, could only book the advance group so rolling road block!  :005:
Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:09:19 PM by Gazk
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Re: Track day at Bedford Autodrome UK
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 11:37:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Has anyone done a track day at Bedford Autodrome?

Any good?

I've just booked for the 6th August :007:
going to take my gopro and a 365 as well we'll see how that works out.

Just one little fly in the mix, could only book the advance group so rolling road block!  :005:

Mate, I would very strongly suggest you ask when you get to the track, whether they can slot you in a group where you wouldn't be a liability to yourself or others...
You should feel "comfortable" riding around the track with other riders of same track experience, speed and ability.
If you find that you're the fastest (and not just because you overtake others in the straights because of the raw power of your "rocket"), than it might be time to move up to the next group... where you might be the "slowest" but with the ability to improve and get faster.
Above all... enjoy yourself  :305:
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline bazzer

• XR God
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 08:54:20 AM
If its your first ever trackday don't go into the the fast group just don't. You will be a danger to yourself and everyone one else.

There has already been several serious incidents on trackdays since they have resumed, don't add to the problem.

If you are a normal fast group rider then crack on and enjoy :-)

Online Forum Admin

• XR Administrator
  • XR Pro
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:12:59 AM
Agree with Bazzer, you need to be in the front quarter of the intermediate group a few times to contemplate being in the advance group. Many of the advance group are seasoned racers who hold ACU licenses.

To be honest if they notice that you're holding people up then the fast guys will complain pronto and they'll pull you out of the group.   :038:

If not a problem then go for it !  :821:

Edit:  Only done cars on that circuit btw (not bikes), it can be quite quick in places, would expect some decent bikes to easy hit 180+ on the straight. You can ride some of the kerbs in places btw (even on a bike), but care needed if damp.

Offline bazzer

• XR God
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 10:17:16 AM
Its seems worse at the moment as there is basically no racing/testing going on so all the racers are using trackdays for testing etc.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 02:38:27 PM
It is by far not my first track day on a bike just the first on the XR,  your all right, normally I would go in the middle group unless the bike I take is not up to it. 

I did a track day on a KTM LC4 640 supermoto "topped out at 110 mph" and did the slow group that day, the next rack day I took my K1200s and did the middle group apart from a couple of guys running slicks and my mate on a 675 who did race for a time I was just fine all day.  Anyone who has had a K12\13s you know they are not a supper bike but can keep up  :038:

My plan is on the day to see if I can get moved into the middle group as the advance group tends to be people on full on race bike with slicks, I’m sure I’ll be fine I’m not that worried about it, just making conversion.  :002:

Just one other thing if anyone is worried for my safety, I’m a level headed sort of guy, I teach CBT’s a couple of days a week and have a gold pass from RoSPA, I know it means nothing on the track but you get the drift 

On the 17th of August I’ll be at Donnington instructing at a Bennetts Insurance Rider confidence day doing cornering.

Thanks for the concerns guys nice.  :037:

PS: anyone ever had Track Day Insurance who did you use?
Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:39:54 PM by Gazk

Offline bazzer

• XR God
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 02:46:15 PM
Sounds like you know what you are getting into :-)

Trackdays seem to have changed over the years. The novice group is also full of race bikes on slicks with warmers too  :-)

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 03:14:48 PM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Sounds like you know what you are getting into :-)

Trackdays seem to have changed over the years. The novice group is also full of race bikes on slicks with warmers too  :-)

yep nutters on 400's with their elbows out and the red mist in their eyes! :008:

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 10:02:16 AM
Track day done, it was ok the weather was a little on the warm side 22+ all day we did get a little rain but nothing to stop the day, anyway here is one of the videos

Offline 1stAdvbike

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Leeds
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 07:33:06 AM
Thanks for the video. I’ve raced ( now retired!) for 13 years and about to pick up an XR 1 May 2021. My first adventure bike after a lifetime of sports bikes. The XR looked to go well on track. I’d be interested in any general comments / observations you have on the bikes handling track and road.