Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New bike arrives next Friday!!  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Bertiebot

• XR Junior
  • Bertie
  • Bike: S1000XR & S!000R
  • Town: Derby
New bike arrives next Friday!!
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »
Hi all

I am joining the S1000XR clan as of next Friday when I pick up my red Sport SE. I was so impressed on the test ride I had. I have been riding sports bikes for years but bought a Triumph Tiger 800 a year ago to commute on (its 100 miles per day so a decent run). The Tiger is a fantastic nike but for some reason I didn't love it. I think because its just too "nice". That said it completely converted me to comfy riding positions. I have a heavily tweaked 2003 Aprilia RSV-R which I also love and its definitely a bit of a shock getting back on it after an adventure bike!

I think the thing I have been missing is the howling speed of a proper sports bike and the S1000xr has plenty of that. I did test ride an R1200GS TE as well and so wanted to like it - the Triple Black ones are good looking bikes - but I could not get on with the bag of spanners in a tumble dryer feel of the engine. It handled well but was a lumpier version of my Tiger so not what I was after.

ANYWAY I haven't bothered to wait for the new bike to actually arrive before buying toys for it. I have Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards, tail tidy, bar end weights and paddock stand bobbins on their way already.

Can't wait!!
Lovely bikes those XRs

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
Re: New bike arrives next Friday!!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
How Bertie
Welcome & congrats
This is going to be a long week for you  :038:

I came back to biking too late in life to consider a sports bike and have ridden Adv type bikes for the last 12/13 years. But I needed something lighter to replace my GSA so was looking at the 800GSA (but no demo available) and the GS LC (hired one in Spain for a few days & it was fun but I didn't luv it) The XR, while interesting, was to my mind unsuitable for the riding I do. And the state of my old bones...

Then, over the Christmas, when nearly everything else was closed I noticed that the local Triumph / Ducati (and Harley, but we'll stay no more about that) dealer was open so went in to kick tyres & have a look at the 800XC. But somehow I got talked into a test on the 1200 Multi. Great bike, amazing sound but wasn't inspired by the handling.

So the next step, purely in the interests of having a few hours on someone else's brand new bike, was to try the XR. Although the weather wasn't great I spent a couple of hours riding every type of road to try & find fault with it. I failed miserably and as punishment had to hand over a great wad of € to my local dealer for my very own XR. And I haven't looked back since.
Running in period is done, first service should be in the next week and then it's 'bring on the spring'  :046: :046:

PS: Why didn't ya buy the faster, sexier, white one ?  :001:

Offline alecg1

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: romford
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
I had a S1000R needed a bit more space and like you tested a GS and wanted to like it but it was just lacking. Took the XR out and it hit the spot straight away.

Offline Tonym

• XR Member
  • Bike: Xr1000se
  • Town: Staffs
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Top buy mate just had a ride out this weekend did 156 miles no pains at all the power delivery is awesome best f both worlds you won't regret it !! But all the bits drive you crazy don't stop spending but hey life's a bike and that's it  :152:

Offline Bertiebot

• XR Junior
  • Bertie
  • Bike: S1000XR & S!000R
  • Town: Derby
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »
Yep, spending is hard to stop.

Next job appears to be to convert the satnav cradle to a locking one. Seems straightforward (famous last words).

I was tempted to buy the "white but soon covered in crap so I need to wash it again!!"  white one they look proper tasty but as i was getting the panniers in the deal quite liked the red/red colour coding thing. I am also a bit concerned as fashion changes. When I got my 2003 RSV-R Mille I was tempted by the lurid yellow one as they were less common and looked ace - looking back I am blooming glad I got a black one.
Lovely bikes those XRs

Offline Tonym

• XR Member
  • Bike: Xr1000se
  • Town: Staffs
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »
Yep got the red one with all the kit looks sweet when loaded but looks even better when all taken off.got a blade in white and shows all the crud but couldn't have two the same colour be a bit ocd but it doesn't get out much now just luvin the bm  :305:

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bertiebot [+]
Next job appears to be to convert the satnav cradle to a locking one. Seems straightforward (famous last words).

Got the dealer to do it as part of the delivery
It's a bit tight getting the key in, turned & back out. The plastic key would be ideal but they're €50  :003:
Glad I did the upgrade though, much handier than taking it out every time you stop for a cuppa or to fill up