Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Recommendations for aftermarket seat  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Doc

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Beaverton
Re: Recommendations for aftermarket seat
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 07:03:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
I have a 2019 HP so it has the standard HP seat.  I have bought a Sargent, a Corbin, and a Wunderlich Gel seat.  The Sargent is the best of these but still doesn't completely satisfy me.  I test rode the 2020 XR and thought its seat was worse than all of these I mention here!

The OEM HP seat tilts forward and pushes me into the tank, I hate that.  It also locks me in place, there is zero room to move around.  I felt the std seat on the 2020 was the same comfort (lack of) as my 2019.  It was made for the showroom floor for this very tall bike.

The Sargent has the best shape but not the best cushion.  It has some room to move around specially front to back and I really like that, it's not a lot, but the little it has helps a lot.  After 3 hours or so, the lack of cushioning makes me start squirming and standing on the pegs.  Sargent allows return for refund.  It's the one I am using now and I am about 90% happy with it.

The Corbin is about 1" taller than the OEM HP and it still tilts forward.  I sent it back and they lowered the back a little.  The cushioning/support is the best.  If it had the shape of the Sargent, or if the Sargent had the cushion of the Corbin, I would have a WINNER.  Sargent will not allow any refund, period.  They will do one mod for you like I asked on my seat, but I had to pay shipping to them and that's $75+.

The Wunderlich was $1300 and I returned it for a full refund, no hassle, no problem, that was great.  It was shaped like the OEM HP and it still tilted forward, even though their website says this is one of the problem it fixes.  The cushioning was great.  But the shape was a deal killer.

Did you happen to try the fixes mentioned on this forum of buying some grommets off eBay and installing them upside down so the seat is flat instead of tilting forward?  I have an HP seat on the way and might try it if it tilts forward too much.
2019 S1000XR - Current
2003 SV1000 - Sold | 2014 DRZ400SM - Sold
2003 SV1000SF - Sold | 2010 Z1000 - Sold
2013 Ninja 650r - Sold | 1999 ZX6R - Sold

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »
I have the BMW sport seat which is more comfortable and looks better than the standard seat, but being BMW its not cheap  :305:
PSH

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »
my seat done in 2016 for about pds 220 by a local. Design provided by me (from Luimoto Canada seat covers). Requested 40mm higher, and agreed to a gelpad. I'm 6'4". Seat is not selling so i'm thinking about taking it apart and move the top gel part into my 2020 seat

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 05:27:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
Did you happen to try the fixes mentioned on this forum of buying some grommets off eBay and installing them upside down so the seat is flat instead of tilting forward?  I have an HP seat on the way and might try it if it tilts forward too much.
Yes, Wunderlich sells this grommet and I have a set.  I bought this before buying any aftermarket seat, it made the OEM HP seat better as far as tilting forward but I still found the seat to restrictive for movement.  Then I got the Corbin seat, which was already 1" higher than the HP seat, so adding this grommet was like sitting on a high chair!  Much too tall!  Then I got the Sargent and it does not need the grommet.

Offline Doc

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Beaverton
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 06:17:03 AM »
Gotcha. I’m tempted to try the grommets. I just got my HP high seat. Probably try and get some really long rides in soon to really test it out first. I do like it better than my plain OEM seat that was on there.
2019 S1000XR - Current
2003 SV1000 - Sold | 2014 DRZ400SM - Sold
2003 SV1000SF - Sold | 2010 Z1000 - Sold
2013 Ninja 650r - Sold | 1999 ZX6R - Sold

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 05:16:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
Gotcha. I’m tempted to try the grommets. I just got my HP high seat. Probably try and get some really long rides in soon to really test it out first. I do like it better than my plain OEM seat that was on there.
Try the grommets first, $40 might save you getting another seat.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 06:20:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
Try the grommets first, $40 might save you getting another seat.

$40..!!?? You can get them on fleabay for less than $8 Aussie sheckles..

https://tinyurl.com/y2q8uxyd

I've had some in for 18months with no problems.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:23:10 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline brickit

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Exeter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 08:54:31 AM »
£4.52 on eb*y UK. Free Postage!  :046:

Offline Pilotct

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR HP
  • Town: Madison
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 06:10:41 PM »
For those tempted to try the grommets, do be aware that you’ll likely need to glue them in place because if not they eventually work their way around and return to the lower position.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »
Also be aware the seat is not really supported by those grommets on the front. It's not a front GS seat. It's mainly supported by the 6 rubbers under the seat. The front grommets are more part of the seat locking mechanism. So you would need to find longer rubbers, or easier power tape raised supports to the frame, otherwise you just bend the seat pan and put stress on the front grommet supports. Which are part of the fuel tank...  And seen from the side that solution is not going to be nice.  Already standard the spacing in the front looks a little too much to me.

I'm also looking at lowered pegs. Can be done with M8 bolts, the ones with a partly non threaded shaft. Instead of the peg between the eyes, you hang the top part onto the lower one. It moves them in total 16mm. Problem is the springs, the left one can be made to work as normal (drill new hole for spring locking pin). The right one  won't fit correctly. Might work upside down, but it might 'jump' too. Anyways  41-42 degree lean angle is then scraping on the pins with my 185lbs without gear. I tried it with springs not fitted. Did not like it without the springs. Put everything back to standard for 1st service. In the end I'm not worried about the right peg. I never use the foot brake. Only times I use it is like in the alps, know the front brakes are hot, traffic light for works or so, and then I use the rear brake to hold the bike to avoid damaging the front discs. Or 1st and switch off