Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve cover installation - what method did you use  (Read 259 times)

Offline AdzventureXR

• XR Member
  • XR my Vanagandr
  • Bike: 2016 XR
  • Town: Incheon City
Valve cover installation - what method did you use
« on: August 01, 2020, 01:12:47 PM »
Hey just finished 30k service and took it for a good test ride. Unfortunately had small oil leak around gasket at cam area. I believe my fault on not letting rtv silicon to set for 24hrs.

My question is how did you install valve cover gasket as I spoke to BMW dealer and they recommended to install gasket in cover install as a assembly.

I found this difficult to maneuver gasket and cover on right side.

I had easier time laying gasket first then positioning cover on top.

Interested to hear your thoughts and recommendations for Rtv silicon.
 :030:
Life. RIDE. Adzventure
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
Enjoy my XR videos

Online SwiftTone

• XR Junior
  • Town: Boston, MA
Re: Valve cover installation - what method did you use
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:06:17 PM »
Installing the cover was definitely challenging when I did my valves on the R. I put silicone sealant in the grooves of the valve cover, then installed the gasket into the cover. You will need to use enough to hold the gasket in place so when you go and install the cover it doesn't fall out. I also put silicone sealant at all areas where there are sharp angles in the mating surface.

When you go to install the bolts on the cover, just install the bolts lightly. Basically enough for the bolts to make contact with the valve cover + 1/8th of a turn. let the silicone set for 24 hours, then torque to spec.

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
I’ve not looked at the XR specifically as I’ve not needed to yet but from other bikes and cars... leaking around the half-moon cutouts at the ends of the camshafts is a common place simply because it’s harder to get the gasket to seal around these features with just downward pressure from the cover bolts. Many mfrs recommend a smear of liquid gasket around these places. ThreeBond 1215 is excellent stuff and what I currently use as a general purpose fuel / oil gasket.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:07:08 PM »
R, pre 19 RR and pre 20 XR are identical. On the gasket there are tiny tabs which sit inside the head below the rocker cover, these help position the gasket properly....ensure they're properly in position or it will leak. I used the Honda Three-Bond sealant which is nearly identical to the original BMW sealant.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:08:29 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!