Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 2 2020 Exhaust options  (Read 1384 times)

Offline thealtona

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: ISTANBUL
Re: Gen 2 2020 Exhaust options
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 07:47:38 AM »
does the 2020 s1000rr akrapovic header fit to 2020 xr ?

Offline thesasquatch

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Utah
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »
Howdy all!

I'm in Salt Lake City and just had the local dealership install my full Akrapovic header & can for me as well as perform the 600 mile service. I received my Brentune device today and am sending-off my stock ECU program today. Hoping to possibly receive my ECU Stage1 tune by tomorrow (before the weekend).
Happy to supply comments, criticism, and review my thoughts after I get the tune applied.

Initial thought on the Akrapovic system for the 2020 XR... it is NOT the same as the RR header. Also, it IS LOUD. Much louder than stock. It does sound really good though. It's not just obnoxious like putting a header / can on a dirt bike. I was worried but it actually sounds really sexy and like a proper super bike sound. The power comes on a bit sooner and smoother than with the stock header but still not a ton more power as I had expected / hoped. I believe the Brentune will supply the additional power and smoothing-out that I was hoping for.
If you're short on money and wondering if spending $1500+ on a full Akra system to hopefully improve the power and smoothness of the bike, I was slightly disappointed. I believe that if you want ONE solution, the Brentune would be my first choice (given what I've heard) and not the exhaust.
(Note: I did NOT install the exhaust noise damper that Akra offers but have one on order). Hoping this softens the sound just enough to not feel self-conscious when riding through my neighborhood.

Hit me up with follow-up questions and I'll try and respond as I get the Brentune applied here shortly!

Cheers-

J

Offline thesasquatch

• XR Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 12:01:58 AM »
Ok so here's the deal... [Post Brentune flash performed]..

If you're reading this and you have a 2020 XR... BRENTUNE IT. RIGHT NOW!!
This "fixed" the bike to make it (honestly) the perfect engine balance. I was thinking it would be a "slight" improvement where it just gave it more power. Not only does it give it quite a bit more power but it allows the power / torque to start gradually quite literally right from 0 RPM. It still has that electric street bike putt-along feel until about 2500-3000rpm ish but there is no sudden "hit" where it just comes on (like it used to do at 7500+). It just pulls so consistently from the bottom and there's just so much steady power that it honestly is difficult to believe it's the same bike. I'm not sure how much of the improvement came from the Akra full exhaust because I had just put that on 2 days ago and hadn't really ridden it much until the Brentune today.
[Also-- requested that wheelie control be removed because it would not turn-off completely in the menu from stock. They did that in the flash as well and it's superb.]

Second note: I received my seat back from Sargent today from being "built-up" from the horrible stock form. Sadly, it's still got the same bowl shape with the downhill sloping pushing me right into the tank with no room to move around. Granted, they added padding so it's a little softer. I was hoping that they would be able to make it a similar shape to the World Sport Performance seat on my GSA but I don't think they're able to with the shape of the seat frame. The GSA seat is basically just a big wide, flat seat that allows you to shift-around as needed and I've really come to love that seat. This seat is just a little trench that it wants your backside to wedge into and then just submit to the inevitable position of just being all the way up at the tank -- just NO rearward movement because it's sloped too much and the side rims of the seat frame are too abrupt to try and sit ON TOP of (I believe even with a wide backside, it still wouldn't be possible to sit over the ridges because they're too tall and abrupt).
[Note: I realize the seat review is extremely subjective because I've read far too many comments on this and other forums stating that the seat is "not too bad". So I'm assuming most XR owners are under 5'10". I'm 6'5. And, before everyone annihilates me for stating that I'm actually that big, please know that I realize that I'm not the "norm". But I take that into consideration. And I have very narrow hips and am only 210lbs. But I've honestly never ever seen or felt a seat that was designed this awfully in my life. I cannot wrap my head around what BMW was thinking. I get the "sport seat" idea and having it be more of a form-fitted design for sport. But this thing just cannot have been thought-out for a human-- no matter WHAT size you are-- for a high-end bike like this.]

So there's my very opinionated review. If you're considering a Gen2 XR, just know that you cannot have this bike and not get the Brentune flash for it. It's as good as I think any superbike style motor could be broad power-range wise. Coupled with the masterful shift assist transmission this thing has, it's really just an incredible bike now.

Cheers.

Online esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 08:02:48 AM »
I would love to fit at least the header, and go with the stock mapping for a start, but even fitting the header means immediate warranty void here...
I don't think that the stock map is that bad (my bike is EU model, perhaps something is different on the US models ?). Yes, it could have more grunt at low rpm's, but it still pulls nicely. At 5000 rpm's it already pulls stronger than my other bike - R1200R, and I believe that everyone knows how strong the boxers are at low rpm's. I always keep it around 5000 rpm's, like I did with all of my 4 cyl bikes, and it's fine
I hate the seat too. Those edges at the wider part are digging right into my butt. Wife is not happy with the pillion seat either. I plan to tour 2-up on this bike so I definitely need to do something about it. Perhaps add some memory foam and wrap it around those edges and fill that hole on the drivers seat where the cover already hangs stretched in the air because there is nothing under it to keep it nice and tight.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 08:09:17 AM by esso_sa »

Offline thesasquatch

• XR Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
Interesting Esso. The stock programming is definitely not "horrible" but it just feels like an electric motorcycle until the 5-6K range where the motor starts to really pull. The tune makes it just start much sooner and steadier which makes it really really nice.
The local dealer here in Utah actually recommended / encouraged the Brentune. Odd that UK / Euro dealers would be so blatantly against such things that actually just round-off the rough edges but don't put any undue stress on the motor-- especially as Brentune is probably the most known tuner for BMW. Seems that it would be "approved" or protected and still warranteed.

Praying for a Sargent World Sport seat or other aftermarket so I can ride without trying to sit on this Airhawk. :)

dysfunctional