Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front sprocket  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
Front sprocket
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »
Has anyone gone up a tooth on the front sprocket for a slightly more relaxed cruising speed ?

I appreciate there may be chain length issues  and sprocket cover clearance issues but one could possibly get away with it. Is the speedo off the gearbox or is there a wheel sensor. It's not as if the the XR is lacking in acceleration is it.

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
Re: Front sprocket
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »
Gearing in the XR is the same as in R and RR for parts economy. The problem is that the first 3 gears are longer than ideal and the top 3 gears short for fast riding. When a larger front sprocket is used then all 6 gears are affected. Then the first gear becomes problematic in a situation of 2 up and luggage and uphill takeoff. My opinion is to not touch the final gear ratio and live with high rpms when touring since the engine feels good at any revs. You dont even have to downshift for passing. Buy a good pair of earplugs and use the cruise control.
The tach is not affected by sprocket size since the measurement is taken from the ABS sensor.

Offline XRBumble

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Dorset
Re: Front sprocket
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
Probably a bit late to be helpful on this topic but just fitted a 41T rear sprocket for a S1000RR, same fitting. I dont think there is any room to go up 1 tooth  on the front. As per the maths it drops the revs to just over 4500 at 70 instead of 5000 in 6th. Basically in 5th, 70 is now 5000 revs so to me it feels better to be able to change up and drop the revs a little. Fair point on the 2 up and/or luggage though as I've only tried it 1 up no baggage. To me it didn't feel any different from standard pulling away but its already a tall first gear for a 'tourer'.  There is enough adjustment on the chain to try it first without commiting to shortening the chain, but not much left so will need a couple of links taken out at some point.