Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front brakes rubbing on disk  (Read 380 times)

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Buckingham
Front brakes rubbing on disk
« on: August 12, 2020, 02:40:28 PM »
Hello Folks
I need a little help with an issue that I had once before on a K1300GT and now with my XR.
I recently replaced the front brake pads at 26,000 miles with a set of the red coloured Brembo pads. By all accounts they are the same, just not copper coloured. Nothing else was altered.
On returning from a ride out I noticed that the discs were warm. I'm not heavy on brakes so I jacked up the front of the bike to find both sides are rubbing very slightly. Enough to start wearing away the discs. It also darkened slightly. Push the pads back a bit and the wheel spins freely. Apply the lever and release and it's back to rubbing again.
I spent many hours trying to figure this issue on the K1300 and never got to the bottom of it.
I've replaced many brake pads and shoes over the many years without issue.
Could someone tell me what I've done wrong or need to do?
Many thanks.

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
Re: Front brakes rubbing on disk
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »
Ok. I may have found my own answer but if there are any better ideas I'd like to hear from you.
When I installed the new pads, I straightened the spring a little. For some reason it looked like it should be straight. I re-bent them and it's considerably better than it was. I'll try it out on the road sometime and see if that sorts it out. :015:

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »
Seems you've put your issue in the "Forum Help and Problems" area.... Which is probably why you've had no replies yet. This area is mainly for people who have issues with the forum itself or the way it works.

In future you're best off putting in the appropriate section.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:18:30 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
Thanks for letting me know.  :062:

I must say, that the layout is a little bit clunky. Could do with a refresh.
If I used it more I'd get better at it I guess!
Thanks again.

dysfunctional