Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scottoiler questions  (Read 777 times)

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Scottoiler questions
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:07:27 PM »
I've always had a Scottoiler fitted and just completed the installation on my S1000XR today.

One of the things I've noticed with this bike is that the main chassis member and the frame strut on which the reservoir is typically mounted actually get quite hot due to the how hot the engine gets. I touched the main chassis / engine mount on the side and it had to have been 60 degrees +. Likewise, the frame strut running up and back from the rider's footpeg also gets pretty warm too, as does, surprisingly, the forward part of the swingarm.

Now, the tubing for the Scottoiler runs along this frame strut and the swingarm of course and it's definitely way hotter than 30 degrees celsius. Since the standard oil is 0 - 30 degree rated, I'm curious as to whether anyone with a Scottoiler fitted has had any problems (oil being too fluid for example) as a result of the heat emanating from the engine and heating up the oil in the delivery tube?

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Scottoiler questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:16:36 PM »
No problem.  The increased viscosity of the 'red' oil is more to do with the ambient temperature on the rear sprocket. 

To be honest - I have normally used the regular (blue) oil on the Continent, and not had excessive 'fling', and no chain wear - but I know I have a bottle of the red oil somewhere, so it would make sense to use that in hot climes, and the blue in UK.

Offline rs87

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks @Mareng1. That's good to know. I was having dire visions of fling everywhere...

Offline rs87

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:35:09 PM »
@Mareng1. Curious as to where you mounted the display unit? The clutch bracket wasn't exactly ideal due to the location of the bolt and the size of the recess.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:09:20 AM »
I cable-tied the control unit on the Left Hand Screen Support Bracket (the one to the left of the Rev-counter)

You don't really need it instantly available, but it is always useful for when it approaches low level and cuts out.   It would work equally-well below the seat (sticky to the battery top?)

Offline rs87

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I cable-tied the control unit on the Left Hand Screen Support Bracket (the one to the left of the Rev-counter)

You don't really need it instantly available, but it is always useful for when it approaches low level and cuts out.   It would work equally-well below the seat (sticky to the battery top?)

I attached mine to the handguard with the metal bracket....

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Town: Sheringham
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 01:33:11 PM »
I've recently bought the X-System, but yet to install it. I've viewed the images on their site, but when I place the reservoir in the same place as they have it on their website, it appears a bit tight to either fill it and looks to put a 'kink' in the lower tube.

Has anyone else had an issue installing it there or have you installed it somewhere different?

http://kbvps.scottoiler.com/article/s1000xr-2015.html#x

Thanks guys

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 03:37:42 PM »
My installation

I don't take a pillion

Offline Mally

• XR Member