Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Airhawk Motorcycle Seat for the 2016 XR  (Read 552 times)

Offline Mcfly

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne FL
Airhawk Motorcycle Seat for the 2016 XR
« on: August 21, 2020, 01:40:55 AM »
I received this seat a few days ago, and to be honest, I'm quite pleased with the overall
product.  The seat itself is definitely priced in the 'premium' seat price range, and retails
for $674.95 USD.  I did not pay that.... they are available for less if you look around.

Here's some side by side pictures to give you an idea as to just what is offered:

And here's where the 'magic happens'.  The button is pressed to release air pressure, and the
bulb in the seat just behind it is pressed to inflate the seat.

Here's how it stacks up against the OEM 2016 seat:

OEM Seat overall length:      26 7/8 inches
AirHawk Seat overall length: 27 5/8 inches

RIDER SEAT DIMENSIONS:
OEM Seat:      12 ¼ in L x 13 ¾ in W x 3 ¼ in H
Airhawk Seat:  13 in L x 13 ¼ in W x 5 in H

PILLION SEAT DIMENSIONS:
OEM Seat:  11 in L x 12 ½ in W x 2 1/4in H
Airhawk Seat:  11in L x 9in W x 5 1/2in H
(Measuring the OEM pillion is difficult due to the triangular shape of the seat.
I took the measurement about mid way on the seat, which is where the passenger
should land.  When I sat the wife on the OEM seat she was not pleased because
the further you slide back the naughtier the seat gets...  Bad OEM Seat!
At over twice the height, the Airhawk offers a LOT more padding, and is more
comfortable all around.)

WEIGHT:
OEM Seat :  4.8 lbs
Airhawk Seat:  9.6 lbs  :147:

What do I think??

I got this seat for long distance touring... the factory seat was good for about an hour before
the butt bones were starting to get sore.  I'm not happy if I'm squirming around and/or in pain.
The Airhawk seat is next level comfort.  After fiddling with the air setting, the seat is comparable
to the Russell Day Long I had on my 1st gen Concours.

My days of dragging a knee are done.  If I were riding very aggressively, I would not like the
Airhawk seat.  Sliding on the seat is far from 'smooth'.  I'm not sure how well the material on the seat
would tolerate the constant shifting during 'track' riding.  For seat planted riding, the seat is very
comfortable, and doesn't roast the 'Neds' like the OEM.  Seating position is very good.  I'm not
being pushed into the tank anymore.  The seat contour allows me to easily put a leg down for stops.
Overall comfort is very good, and I can fine tune the comfort with the  integrated air bladder.

The construction is very nice.  Solid!  Metal tabs in the front and rivets hold the seat together all around.

Negatives?  Yep....

It's HEAVY.... 10lbs for a seat is a bit much for an XR, to be fair.
The 'breathable' seat does not make it easy to slide to the side for canyon carving.
The durability of the “space mesh” fabric has yet to be tested.

I'm going to test this new seat in a few weeks with a couple thousand miles of
mixed riding over 6 days.  I think it was a worth while investment.  Several days
of riding in the mountains should be an ample test!

From the Airhawk Website:

Patented IST (Independent Suspension Technology) with Air Cell Technology for the comfort you deserve.
Same height as stock seat, but with superior narrow leg passage.
14” at widest point.
Double your ride time! Scientifically proven Air Cell Technology means no more painful hot spots and pressure points.
Ergonomically sculpted for perfect positioning and weight distribution.
Breathable Space Mesh material keeps you cool and dry.
Independent Suspension Technology offers revolutionary comfort even when the going gets rough, keeping your body from bouncing up against the hard seat pan.

Offline sak240

• XR Junior
  • Bike: MY16 S1000XR Red
Re: Airhawk Motorcycle Seat for the 2016 XR
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
I would be very interested in how you like this seat for long days.  I have been running the air hawk pad over my seat for many miles.  I just rebuilt my seat, new foam and gel and air hawk on that and it still wasn’t the ticket.  I then decided it’s time for a new seat, I just saw the air hawk seat and it led me to your review.  I’m wondering how it will compare the a Sargent or Corbin, my main concern is long distance I’ll throw the rebuilt one on for the short days.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 09:40:43 PM »
McFly,

How about an update?

Offline Mcfly

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 12:15:51 AM »
I ran (2) 10 hour days getting up to the mountains and back.  I'd say the seat performed well, not 'perfect'.
These runs were 90% interstate.  So, I can say that an average of 175 miles were spent on the seat, no legs
down until I stopped for gas.  At each gas stop I took a 15-20 minute break.  The seat was comfortable for
the 1st (3) legs. I got a bit a squirmy towards the end of the 3rd leg, and through the final run.  After I figgered
out how to properly adjust the seat, the butt bone pain was minimal.

This isn't really 'bad' persay, and found that trying adjusting the seat 'on the fly' doesn't work.  Butt needs to be
off the seat for it to inflate (at least when you're 215 lbs plus gear).  Most of my pain was knees both ways.
Keep in mind I threw myself into a 600 mile torture test after 1 year of minimal riding due to health issues.

So the 'there and back again' rivalled a Russell Day Long on a ZG1000.  (I've done the same route a few times
on the Concours...)

Once up in the mountains, the seat was a pleasure all day running the twisties.  Moving side to side on the seat
was easy enough, and I remained planted towards the back of the seat, not sliding up into the tank at all.
Given the opportunity to put feet down and take breaks a bit more often, the seat was a pleasure.
Compared to the factory bench, which I would last about 1.5-2 hours before getting butt bone pain, the
Airhawk seat is a considerable improvement.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 04:03:38 AM »
Thanks, I keep looking for a better seat.  The OEM HP seat was 50% good at best, it slopes forward and I kept moving onto the gas tank.  Next came a Corbin seat which was more comfortable but over 1" taller and still slightly tilted forward, I'd give it 80%.  Then came a Sargent seat which made a good first impression because it is shaped right - I don't slide forward and I can plant both ball of my feet.  But it gets too hard after three hours, I'd give it 90%.  I sent the Corbin back to have the back of the seating area lowered, but they did only a little bit, it still leans forward a little bit, but it has better cushion than the Sargent, I'd give it a 90% also.

So the modified Corbin works best for me on long rides and the Sagent works best for me on short rides.  I am still looking for something better.

I noticed Airhawk makes a seat without the air bladder, do you think the bladder is a worthwhile improvement?  The overhead picture of the two seats side by side really tempts me, the shape of the Airhawk looks like what I want.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:05:42 AM by runnerhiker »

Offline Mcfly

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 01:04:59 PM »
The air bladder does help.  It does add more height to the seat when you add air,
but not so much it's a deal breaker.  I've never found that 'perfect seat' for a bike.
I don't think one exists personally.  For me, the Airhawk is better than I had. 

When it comes to seat comfort, it's a very individual thing.  YMMV.