Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another 2020 XR test ride  (Read 929 times)

Online Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
Another 2020 XR test ride
« on: August 21, 2020, 04:48:24 PM »
Hi new to the forum and considering a swap from my current Honda Africa Twin Adv Sport to either an S1000XR or Kwak H2 SX SE. I've been testing the trade in waters with Kwak dealer whilst I waited a contact return from the motoradd request XR test ride which as it took over a week I'd intially though I was being ignored , Anyways call last night rxd and test ride arranged for this afternoon. Ride was on a 2020 Red XR TE with high screen?, stock saddle and exhaust (see pic) . Initial impressions were it felt light and compact and the saddle height was ideal for my leg length in my Sidi Adventure boots. Dealer set me off in road mode which felt a little bouncy and with a slow throttle response so quickly swapped to dynamic which tightened everything up a treat. Its been a while since I've ridden a sporty tyred bike so I was a little slow around the bends but loved the way it steered and leant over when cornering as a few years on 21" front wheeled adv bikes has made me slightly reticent to get a bike on its "ear" so to speak. Exhaust/engine very quite but refined no vibes felt. Saddle felt a little bit compact and limiting in possible sitting positions but not uncomfortable for the brief 1hr ish ride. It was very breezy and I didnt notice any difficult behaviour in the side winds (more stable than the Honda on the ride home) . SO only difficult decisions were spec/colour /options. Looks like I'll go grey as the M-sport is too spendy for my tastes for just paint a chain and a Euro compliant Akra can. The Red looks like its missing a load of graphics so IMO looks the cheaper of it and the grey, plus the 300 ukp for red gets a few accessories instead. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:50:23 PM by Macduff »

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Another 2020 XR test ride
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
Some good comments there. Agree about the cost of the M option and also the red.  :305:
PSH

Offline patzx12

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Galway
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:06:29 PM »
Nice but the looks of the 2020 don't do it for me.
I elected not to test ride a 20 and  bought the 19 HP style.
Good luck with your choice.

Offline fozz

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000 xr se
  • Town: Somerset
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 07:26:38 PM »
Be interested to hear what you think of the Kwak?,i test rode one and didn't like at all,thought it handled like a Gen one busa,and all for 20k!!

Offline patzx12

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Galway
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 08:04:56 PM »
I wouldn't mind a try on the Z2H but its not going to be anything practical.
A bit like the B-king

Online Macduff

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 09:05:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by fozz [+]
Be interested to hear what you think of the Kwak?,i test rode one and didn't like at all,thought it handled like a Gen one busa,and all for 20k!!
Didnt get a chance to ride the Kwack as local dealer had none and werent planning on getting any. The potential distant dealer sale went cold (thier end) so that option didnt materialise. At that point I was beginning to think Kwak ownership maybe troublesome if the local dealer support was patchy ie they wouldnt have supplied the bike and may ahve been disinterested in warrently work if needed.  They had previous form on not wanting to take in bikes as trade ins that they had sold (new) and serviced against bikes they had in stock so I wasnt thier biggest fan to start with, which probably would have pushed me into using other kwak dealers (next nearest about 50miles away). after all that it seemed I'd be tempting fate to find another kwak dealer willing to do a deal & the XR TE had more than enough hooligan potentail in reality and handled lovely.

Online Macduff

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 07:32:12 PM »
Deal done and new bike arrived at the dealers today.
:152:

Online Macduff

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »
Since I picked my XR TE up yesterday I've managed a short 1hr solo ride yesterday and a longer two up ride of a few hours today. I decided to leave the bike in road mode and suspension in auto so the initial bouncy feeling/slowish mode I avoided on my pre-sales test ride.
The road /auto mode suspension setting came into its own on the local rippled/bumpy tarmac I have for local roads and ended up feeling just right for getting some miles in at a reasonable (still running in the engine) rate and managed two up (no luggage) brilliantly as it kept the preload setting (avoiding rear end sag a passenger sometimes adds) . Power wise road turned out to great too and good for two up overtakes when needed (within the running in rev/throttle ranges) . I did try to set the preload on min for pillion mounting/dismounts to assist the pillion as the rear saddle is rather high but not sure I could spot a difference, except when I left it in auto for the last pillion dismount and the bike seemed to raise up as I ended up on balls of feet when paddling the bike into its park position in my yard, normally I'm flat footed on auto with just me on board. 
Tried out the cruise control and it was simple to use adjust for the odd spots I tried it (during speed camera monitored road works) .  If I have a gripe its that the bike swaps back to the default TFT screen after an ignition off/on rather than remain on the screen mode last selected ie Sport display etc.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:29:03 PM by Macduff »

dysfunctional