Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Heated grips?
« on: August 22, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »
Went for a long ride today and ended up coming back quite late, after dark. The temperature dropped to about 13 degrees celsius and since I was wearing my summer gloves, I turned on the heated grips for the first time. They barely got warm compared to the aftermarket Oxford grips I had on other bikes. Are they truly this sh#t, or is there something wrong with my grips?

Offline Crosshairs

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Re: Heated grips?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 01:31:30 AM »
I turned mine on just to be sure they work and they got quite warm....maybe get yours checked

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 03:03:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I turned mine on just to be sure they work and they got quite warm....maybe get yours checked

Seems quite common for some to be ok and some are just plain ordinary.

Mine seem to work ok, but my fellow XR riding mate mentioned his were barely adequate.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline davidmudley

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Guildford
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 06:31:46 AM »
Mine work well but I’d agree, they don’t get to quite the same scortching levels that the oxford grips do.

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 07:46:09 AM »
They have a reputation for being distinctly average. I believe there was a thread on here a year or two back noting that the alternator/generator is of a lower capacity than the boxer engine ones in a GS for example so they don’t get super hot in comparison. Still way better than nothing though.

Offline Denzle

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »
Don’t forget they have 2 heat settings, did you have it on the higher setting.

Offline rs87

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Denzle [+]
Don’t forget they have 2 heat settings, did you have it on the higher setting.

Yep. I had them on maximum heat the whole time.

*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Seems quite common for some to be ok and some are just plain ordinary.

Mine seem to work ok, but my fellow XR riding mate mentioned his were barely adequate.

Mine definitely seem to be of the barely adequate variety

*Originally Posted by orbits [+]
They have a reputation for being distinctly average. I believe there was a thread on here a year or two back noting that the alternator/generator is of a lower capacity than the boxer engine ones in a GS for example so they don’t get super hot in comparison. Still way better than nothing though.

I found that thread you are referring to. Seems a bit hit and miss - some people have good ones and some bad. Mine are barely better than nothing. I'll have to use my IR thermometer and check how hot they get. I suspect I'll be complaining to the dealer trying to get them replaced under warranty...

Offline rs87

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
Just did some testing. I suspect my left / clutch grip is faulty.

Using my Fluke IR thermometer, the throttle grip heats up to 60 celsius and is relatively uniform in temperature. It definitely got hotter now (subjectively speaking) than it did last night.

The clutch grip on the other hand is 10 - 15 degrees cooler than the throttle grip. Most of the grip hovers around 45 - 48 celsius with tiny parts of the grip hitting 52 / 53 celsius for short periods of time. Temperatures much less uniform than the throttle grip.

The voltage regulation controlling the heat output also appears to also be quite heavy handed (no pun intended) as it cycles the voltage for long enough for temperatures to drop considerably before kicking back in instead of being quick on the on/off

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 03:19:03 PM »
General problem of inadequate heated grip output with the pre 2020 XR, particularly in really cold (<5c). Wondering if the new XR is any better. The dealer can adjust output,  but had mine set to max and still not hot enough  :305:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:19:35 AM by PaulS1000XR »
PSH

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
General problem of inadequate heated grip output with the pre 2000 XR

Pre-2000..!!?? :084: Wow....that is an old one.. :038:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional