Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 - S1000XR Rear "shuddering"on hard acceleration.  (Read 663 times)

Offline Alex

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Pretoria
2020 - S1000XR Rear "shuddering"on hard acceleration.
« on: August 23, 2020, 06:28:15 AM »
I have done about 1500 km on my 2020 XR. I decided to take the Mrs on a breakfast run for the first time since the lock-down of restaurants has been lifted in South Africa. This was also only the second time I drove with a pillion on this bike and after pulling fairly hard from a traffic light I could feel a distinct shudder emanating from under the seat. It did the same when I hooked second gear at about 9000rpm...
I was driving in Dynamic mode and suspension set to Road. I checked the chain tension and lube afterwards and all seemed OK. I couldn't see any other physical issue and am concerned about this. Has anyone else noticed this?  Thanks.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: 2020 - S1000XR Rear "shuddering"on hard acceleration.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 09:36:59 AM »
As some one who rarely gets to ride a road bike one up,my first port of call would be the chain...you say you checked it..how? Because the only real way I have ever manage to get a chain spot on is with both of us on the bike and then having to bend down and feel the chain tension with your finger...it’s a party trick all right  :001:

Modern days bike with rising rate suspension have negated a lot of the above,but always found the chain has an easier time when set right,and neither of us two are heavyweights

PS

All the best for the Binders today  :002:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:37:49 AM by Winger »

Offline Alex

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »
Hi Winger,
I checked the chain tension as per the owners manual and haven't thought of checking the tension with 2-up. I won't try the "party trick" method :001:but am going to ask a 3rd party to check for us whilst we are in the seat  :062: Holding thumbs and toes for #BB33 today, it is going to me a mammoth task to get on that podium. Cheers Alex

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
As some one who rarely gets to ride a road bike one up,my first port of call would be the chain...you say you checked it..how? Because the only real way I have ever manage to get a chain spot on is with both of us on the bike and then having to bend down and feel the chain tension with your finger...it’s a party trick all right  :001:

Modern days bike with rising rate suspension have negated a lot of the above,but always found the chain has an easier time when set right,and neither of us two are heavyweights

PS

All the best for the Binders today  :002:

How much chain deflection with you and the current Mrs W then ?  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »
I’ve never ridden a chain driven bike that doesn’t have a variation in chain tension when riding one or two up,I haven’t forgotten the first time I leaned down doing my party trick to find the chain was like a banjo string, in recent years with the advent of rising rate suspension the difference isn’t so drastic but there’s still a difference.

The best example is my old 955 Tiger,i’ve Lost track the number of folks who have said ‘Chain looks slack mate’ when we are on it that slack disappears and it’s perfect.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:56:14 PM by Winger »

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
For the.....cough... less mechanically minded modern day bikes have a form of linkage system to negate a lot of the hassle but certainly not all of it.

Offline Alex

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 11:38:17 AM »
I think I solved the problem, I usually ride with the suspension preload on "min" as I am vertically challenged   :006: and forgot to set it to "auto" when 2-up on the ride. I tested this on the weekend with the Mrs on the back and suspension set on "auto" - no more shuddering...  :082:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:40:17 AM by Alex »

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 07:29:38 AM »
Surely if you adjust the chain as per the book then the suspension can move through its whole travel without going tight and binding? So having two people on board or one will not make any difference.

If your chain is binding there the suspension travel due to a passenger or a big compression (the bike can't tell the difference) then I think you have not adjusted it correctly in the first place.

dysfunctional