Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 S1000XR Windscreens - Standard vs Comfort vs MRA Touring Vario  (Read 3336 times)

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
If some of you think about changing your windscreen, here is the measured (metric) comparison between the 3 screens. Maybe it can help

Length
STOCK (37 cm's)

COMFORT (43 cm's)

MRA Vario Touring (44 cm's, 47 cm's with spoiler fully extended)

Top width
STOCK (34 cm's)

COMFORT (40 cm's)

MRA Touring Vario (33 cm's)

Centre width
STOCK (28 cm's)

COMFORT (32 cm's)

MRA Touring Vario (40 cm's)

So, to sum it up :001:

STOCK               COMFORT            MRA Touring Vario
L                                  37                            43                              44 (47 spoiler extended)
W-top                          34                            40                               33
W-centre                     28                            32                               40

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:58:06 PM by esso_sa »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: 2020 S1000XR - Standard vs Comfort windscreen
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
I dont believe that a higher screen is of benefit. The higher screen causes more higher level turbulence behind the screen which is felt on the helmet. The standard screen + an aerodynamic helmet in clean, non turbulent air is in my view better. Also the higher screen has that GS / RT look which is not what the XR is about. Thing that the screen on the 2020 XR is too high. Just my humble views.  :305:
PSH

Offline Mab1067

• XR Member
  • Town: PETERHEAD
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 02:58:47 PM »
Have Powerbronze not released there new screens and tinted ones as well. Might be worth looking there first before OEM purchase. Im sure the 500mm tinted screen from Powerbronze is £95.
All down to height etc. Found the standard screen in both mods very good. Especially at high speed with screen up. Again all down to personal preference and what you have been used to before??

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 03:17:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mab1067 [+]
Have Powerbronze not released there new screens and tinted ones as well. Might be worth looking there first before OEM purchase. Im sure the 500mm tinted screen from Powerbronze is £95.
All down to height etc. Found the standard screen in both mods very good. Especially at high speed with screen up. Again all down to personal preference and what you have been used to before??

Don't know how tall you are (I'm 5'10), but the stock screen in up position directs air straight at the top of my helmet visor and at high speed it makes so much turbulences that it throws my head all over the place (besides buffeting noise). I literally can't ride it over 90 km/h. At low position wind hits the bottom of my helmet visor, no turbulences, but lots of wind noise. When I stand up on the bike, it feels like I'm standing still - total silence compared to sitting behind the screen.
For my entire life I've been riding naked bikes, so I'm used to wind, but this is completely different.
Since this comfort screen is 6 cm's taller, its low position will probably be equivalent to high of the stock screen, so it will probably give me turbulences, but I'm hoping that at high position it will direct the air over my helmet and give me some peace  :002:
If it doesn't help, then I will wait for MRA and waste even more money...

*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
The standard screen + an aerodynamic helmet in clean, non turbulent air is in my view better.

My helmet is Shoei GT-Air which is pretty aerodynamic and quiet, but it didn't work with the stock screen
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:28:45 PM by esso_sa »

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »
But isn't this new screen in low position going to be the same as the stock screen in high position? (the position that you had the most problems)

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 07:15:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
But isn't this new screen in low position going to be the same as the stock screen in high position? (the position that you had the most problems)

Probably. That's why I'm planning to keep it at high position over 90 km/h
It's also slightly wider and differently shaped so who knows, maybe it will be different (better ?) than stock even in low position ? I will try it as soon as the weather clears up.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:30:52 PM by esso_sa »

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »
I'd be waiting till MRA bring out a "Vario" screen for the 2020....I have one on my 17 model and it is very good, I'm ~5'11" or 180cm if it makes any difference.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:52:18 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline mbc2237

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S 1000 XR
  • Town: Florida
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 12:46:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
Don't know how tall you are (I'm 5'10), but the stock screen in up position directs air straight at the top of my helmet visor and at high speed it makes so much turbulences that it throws my head all over the place (besides buffeting noise). I literally can't ride it over 90 km/h. At low position wind hits the bottom of my helmet visor, no turbulences, but lots of wind noise. When I stand up on the bike, it feels like I'm standing still - total silence compared to sitting behind the screen.
For my entire life I've been riding naked bikes, so I'm used to wind, but this is completely different.
Since this comfort screen is 6 cm's taller, its low position will probably be equivalent to high of the stock screen, so it will probably give me turbulences, but I'm hoping that at high position it will direct the air over my helmet and give me some peace  :002:
If it doesn't help, then I will wait for MRA and waste even more money...

My helmet is Shoei GT-Air which is pretty aerodynamic and quiet, but it didn't work with the stock screen

Same height, same EXACT issues. Stand up, it's quiet as a mouse fart. Any other configuration with the stock screen is brutal. I would have explained each situation exactly the same. Interesting that we are the average man's height and BMW didn't design for the most common height. 5'8" is probably ok but then they are dealing with other issues on the height of the bike and 6' is clear of the turbulance as I have confirmed with a friend who rode it.

I have resisted purchasing the OEM shield as I was hoping to get aftermarket as well but it is tough to wait with the given setup. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with the taller screen.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:48:02 AM by mbc2237 »

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 04:20:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by mbc2237 [+]
I have resisted purchasing the OEM shield as I was hoping to get aftermarket as well but it is tough to wait with the given setup. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with the taller screen.

OK, just did a quick test ride on highway and here are the first impressions

- Low position directs air to the middle of my helmet visor. As I mentioned earlier, I was expecting problems here, since the new screen at low sits approximately at the same height as the standard on high. But it was fine, just wind noise and some light intermittent buffeting. Similar to the standard screen at low position, but everything less pronounced. I could say that this position is best for speeds up to 100 km/h - you get some wind blast to cool down, but at tolerable noise level

- High position directs air to the very top of my helmet. Slight intermittent buffeting at speeds over 130 km/h, but not even close to what I've experienced with standard screen. At speeds below 100 km/h everything is nice and quiet
It really depends on your sitting position. If you sit with your back completely straight (GS rider style  :001:), there will be some noise and buffeting, but if you lean towards the front just a little, you are almost completely shielded and wrapped in silence.

However, I would still recommend wearing ear plugs on longer journeys, especially if highways are involved. All that airflow still makes some noise, and it can't be avoided completely
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:51:36 PM by esso_sa »

Offline popeye

• XR Junior
  • Town: MERÅKER
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
MRA have released a VTM for the 2020 for delivery from september. 142 euros plus shipping. Not quite sure I like the design, but I'm confident it will help with the buffeting. The VTM worked great on my gen. 1 bike, so I guess they have solved it for the gen. 2 bike as well.
I have the standard screen om my bike, but added a wunderlich 3D vario that works, but the look is  :110:...
Guess I will place an order on this new one.

dysfunctional