Author Topic: 2020 S1000XR Windscreens - Standard vs Comfort vs MRA Touring Vario  (Read 18973 times)

Offline Corrado

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR sport 21
  • Town: Abu Dhabi
The Puig screen does look good on the pics and I was surprised to see that is even taller than the MRA Vario (565mm).
How does it compare in terms of wind protection?

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Burnaby, BC
*Originally Posted by Corrado [+]
The Puig screen does look good on the pics and I was surprised to see that is even taller than the MRA Vario (565mm).
How does it compare in terms of wind protection?

It's much better than the BMW comfort screen for me.  Again, I'm a big boy at 6' 1" 240ish lbs.  The low position is about equivalent to the comfort screen's high position and it is super solid so it doesn't flex even at high speed.  I still get some wind on my shoulders and the top of my helmet but still feels better than the oem.  I won't be going back!  I am, however, considering picking up the clip on visor eventually.  Might be handy for longer trips or cold/wet weather, but I never liked having it on all the time... personal preference though.   
I plan to live forever.  So far, so good!

Offline BennyS

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Melbourne
Personally I don’t like the look of these massive aftermarket screens. Completely changes the looks of the bike, particularly if you (like me) have the Sport model. I’ve stuck with the original small tinted screen and leave it in the lowered position, which makes the wind hit my chest. Having had naked bikes, it isn’t an issue for me.

Offline Corrado

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR sport 21
  • Town: Abu Dhabi
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
I know its each to their own, but I have to agree with that. Loved the MRA on my Gen1, it looked and worked really well. But really disappointed with the look of the Gen2 version, no thought gone into the looks what's so ever  :034:

Now got a dark tint Puig sitting on the side waiting to go on.

Did you end up trying the Puig Touring dark screen?
I was wondering if it is going to be an issue riding at night with the dark one
I guess it also depends if it's actually in your line of sight.
When you are riding with the screen in the low position do you look through the screen or is that below your line of sight? Also, how tall are you?

Offline 53jd

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Austin, TX
I had the Puig Touring on my gen1 bikes and it worked well. I have a Puig Touring on my gen2 and it isn't as effective as the gen1 screen at deflecting wind in up or down position. But, I like the aesthetic of Gen2 vs. Gen1.

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 2 Racing Red
  • Town: Essex
Actually got a run out with the dark tint Puig screen. Seems fine to me, I look over the top of the screen so the tint is not a problem. No stability issues (yet) but not really been into three figures. Wind protection not bad in normal position and keeps most the weather off me in the high position. Not perfect, looks are subjective, but for me at 6’1” I would say it’s better than the standard screen.

Offline Versatile1

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Apison
I removed the stock screen and fitted an MRA Vario,.I ride with it in low position and adjust the deflector to preference.   I'm 6' and it works well for me, wS not a fan of the stock screen.

Offline Versatile1

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Apison
I removed the stock screen and fitted an MRA Vario,.I ride with it in low position and adjust the deflector to preference.   I'm 6' and it works well for me, was not a fan of the stock screen.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
*Originally Posted by Versatile1 [+]
I removed the stock screen and fitted an MRA Vario,.I ride with it in low position and adjust the deflector to preference.   I'm 6' and it works well for me, was not a fan of the stock screen.
The same for me, I am 5'-10" and the OEM screen gave me buffeting around my Shoei helmet.  The MRA Vario works great.
'19 S1000XR
'20 R1250 RS
'22 Kawasaki ZH2