Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lurker  (Read 467 times)

Offline ksplumy

• XR Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200F, R1150G
  • Town: DROGHEDA
Lurker
« on: September 02, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »
Not really a new member, but a lurker who has never posted. New bike for me next year I hope, it will be an XR or a GS. Anyone who has owned both, can you tell me pros and cons please?
What should I buy next?

Offline Rik

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR sport se
  • Town: Kiveton park
Re: Lurker
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »
GS is a great bike, does everything you want & more. The XR is all that but  with added grin factor  :001:

Offline dkdavid

• XR Member
  • Bike: gen 2 s1000 xr
  • Town: Papplewick Notti
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:40:11 AM »
Hello and welcome
I have had both and I must say that they are two completely different bikes, depends what you want to do with it.
Gen 2 S1000xr and that’s it.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:52:22 AM »
So many differences, but as above - depends what you want personally.

Lots of people try the XR and return to a GS
Lots of people switch from a GS and never look back.

It's really up to you.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »
Looking at the two bikes that the OP owns....i’d Go GS an X/R would give him a cardiac arrest.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »
It depends on your needs.
If you plan to mostly tour on it, for example 70% long distance touring, and 30% fun riding with some off-road trips - get a GS
If your plans are the opposite to the above and you want to spend that "fun riding percentage" with a huge grin on you face - definitely get an XR

I haven't owned a GS, but I did own its naked brother - R1200R LC, and I was having the same dilemma - XR or a GS. Above "calculation" helped me decide, so I went for an XR ! And I've never regretted it !
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:39:51 AM by esso_sa »

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Looking at the two bikes that the OP owns....i’d Go GS an X/R would give him a cardiac arrest.

VFR is what - a 160bhp sports-tourer?

They appear to be a lot smaller in the flesh than I thought from photos, and I would expect it to be rather rapid.

I wonder if Honda threw that engine into a road-oriented bike like the XR, coupled to their shaft drive and DCT gearbox - how many would desert the XR for that?

Online Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Triple Blk
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »
I went from an XR to a 1250GSA and back to an XR. The GSA was a brilliant bike, great for a lot of things and can probably go down most roads as quick as an XR, and I absolutely loved riding it, but never really loved owning it.   

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 06:36:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
VFR is what - a 160bhp sports-tourer?

They appear to be a lot smaller in the flesh than I thought from photos, and I would expect it to be rather rapid.

I wonder if Honda threw that engine into a road-oriented bike like the XR, coupled to their shaft drive and DCT gearbox - how many would desert the XR for that?

My K1200r Sport makes way more than my X/R but jeez actually trying too use it is something else, and I have learned the hard way.

Re the GS I have 6 points on my license dished out in one go proving that an X/R is faster than a GS, but as everyone knows it’s a tad more complicated than that.

I have a 22 year old 1100s and 19 year old 955 Tiger neither are stock,but if A to B is 250 miles i’ll Out run any X/R you care to turn up on because both will do that on a tank and still run 3 figures while doing it...but like I said there’s more too this bike lark than just basics.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:37:38 PM by Winger »