Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A couple of questions from potential owner  (Read 4073 times)

Offline spiffred

• XR Junior
A couple of questions from potential owner
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:01:29 AM »
Hi Guys, thinking of getting an XR in replacement for my Explorer just a couple of questions, has anyone fitted Trax panniers to the XR who can send me pictures of what it looks like. Also I have a Garmin 590lm sat nav does anyone use this and how have they fitted it.

Thanks in advance

Offline petekeys

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Whitchurch
Re: A couple of questions from potential owner
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »
Hi

I have the 590 myself.  I bought the SE version that comes complete with a satnav mounting /power mount on the screen bracket and a handlebar scroll wheel /button interface.  My 590 mounts to and powers fine from the mount but  the scroll wheel interface doesn't work.  I'm continuing to use the 590 for now  as it seams a little wasteful to upgrade to the system-v just for the scroll wheel interface.  In the future I may sell the 590 and upgrade .. but a bit skint after buying the bike .. well bikes as i bought a 1299 as well  :008: 

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »
Are you going to use the Bike for 2up if so then do a 2up test ride.  My wife likes the speed but not keen on the seat or the vibes but in truth my main 2up bike is a Trophy SE which is a couch on 2 wheels.

As Pete says the 590 works minus the wheel and the recording bits from the Nav 5 but that only good if you want to know how many times you changed gear or used the front brake.  I do the opposite and use the Nav 5 on the Trophy's nav mount it wont record but works most of the time fine with the occasional lock up {talking 4 times in 9 months}.

I use the standard panniers and pillion no wobble at 120 - 140 on GPS in Germany on the autobahn of course {Officer} :001:

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Slider

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Newbury
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:33:45 PM »
We did a 2 up test before committing to buy. We have come from a K1600GT to the XR, and the wife prefers the XR as the seating position is more open (used to get cramp in knees and tummy on the K as more scrunched position), she finds the seat comfortable, and no vibes noticed. Took delivery a couple of weeks back and still running in.
{c/o Tommy Cooper} Local Police hunting the 'knitting needle nutter', who has stabbed six people in the rear in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »
Agree with you there Slider my Missus did not like the K1600, either of them she did not like the position her calves were on the boxes.  She is only 5"3 and a big girl.  She wants a go on the new explorer as she does like the ADV type bike and she loved the old TEX and the 800.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline spiffred

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses chaps, have placed the order i has a s1000r, so know the motor really well. I am a little confused as I tried my Garmin 590lm on a mates XR and we could not get it to fit, am I missing something ????? It was too tall to fit in the bracket and would not clip in ?

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by spiffred [+]
I am a little confused as I tried my Garmin 590lm on a mates XR and we could not get it to fit, am I missing something ????? It was too tall to fit in the bracket and would not clip in ?

As far as I know (& I'm no expert !) only the 660 / Nav5 fit into the bracket that's fitted to the XR
And I think the Nav5 is the only one with the "XR functionality" whereby you get all the info like gear changes, throttle position, etc direct from the bike via the handlebar  'magic wheel'.

Offline spiffred

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
Thanks Jockser, I picked the bike up on Sat and can confirm the 590lm does not fit the BMW cradle, however the 590 cradle fits on the bracket and the wiring is straight forward, and yes you are correct it does not  have the additional functionality.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by spiffred [+]
I picked the bike up on Sat

Congratulations  :046:
Hope you're as happy with it as the rest of us.

Offline petekeys

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Whitchurch
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 10:48:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by petekeys [+]
Hi

I have the 590 myself.  I bought the SE version that comes complete with a satnav mounting /power mount on the screen bracket and a handlebar scroll wheel /button interface.  My 590 mounts to and powers fine from the mount but  the scroll wheel interface doesn't work.  I'm continuing to use the 590 for now  as it seams a little wasteful to upgrade to the system-v just for the scroll wheel interface.  In the future I may sell the 590 and upgrade .. but a bit skint after buying the bike .. well bikes as i bought a 1299 as well  :008:

Sorry for the false steer .  I forgot I had the Zumo 660 and not the 590lm.  The 660 does fit.

dysfunctional