Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nail in Tyre  (Read 686 times)

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Nail in Tyre
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
Some merit in what you say, but done 200 miles around Wales since plug fitted, with no loss of pressure so all is good. I will let you know if any problems so you can say 'I told you so'  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »
If that plug ‘Lets go’ the last thing you’ll be worried about is coming on here and saying anything...you’ll be thinking a new tyre would have been a far safer option and I shouldn’t been such a tight arse, assuming you’ll be in any fit state to think anything....

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 06:23:40 PM »
I think I had about 700-1000 miles left on my tyres when I noticed the rear tyre was low on pressure.   Easy to spot the screw head in the middle of the tread.   Thought to myself - will give that Stop’n’go kit a go.

It’s a clever bit of kit, but the alarm bells start go go off when the supplied rasp - is gnawing in to the steel braids in the tyre.

Anyway - it sealed (more of less) enough, but decided that a swap to last year’s tyre was best course of action.

I see these as being a ‘get you home’ rather than ‘fix it’

How much would a ‘proper repair’ cost on a new-ish tyre. 

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 07:41:53 PM »
I carry a Dynaplug kit with me all the time along with a mini compressor cuz i’d Rather try and help myself rather than waiting for the breakdown.

What tyre suppliers fit...while in general it’s called a plug if you see it before fitting you would call it a mushroom so it covers a large area inside the tyre, do they work...well if I was a 20 year old kid(I wish) with his/her SV650 on basic wage not a pot to piss and more worried about having enough money to go out on the lash on Friday night then it’s a serious option,but to fit on a big HP modern day bike...no thanks, yea sure at one time or another we have all been there with a brand new tyre and a 6” nail stuck in it  :230: but my neck is worth way more than the price of a new tyre.

Where things get really complicated we live in the world of PCP which needs little explanation and having a nice new flash modern day modern motorcycle is no indication what so ever of having any financial back up and that’s before Corona.