Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 test ride  (Read 508 times)

Offline Jbiker

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Gs
2020 test ride
« on: September 09, 2020, 12:57:53 PM »
Hello all,
I was hoping to repalce my R1200gs lc soon and was liking the looks of the new XR. Having owned many bikes including a 2015 S1000R, I had a reasonable idea of what to expect.

So, yesterday, I took out the 2020 XR from Perigueux BMW just an hour away from me. They service my GS and their service has been good.

Anyway, the bike:
Immediately felt at home on it. Light controls, turn in, slick gearchanges and very slick quickshifter.
The bike is rapid. But, it needs revs, torque just not what was expected. Get the revs over 6k and it flies. So it feels like you have to be ‘on it’ a lot more than with a GS/Multi/1290 Ktm. Much different engines but compared as they are in the adv sector.
Handling and suspension. Really nice, in road it just soaks things up nice. Push on a bit and switching to Dynamic makes the bike feel sportbike sharp, without being over firm. Impressive.
Brakes. Yes. Excellent.
Seat...for me it worked well. At first my thoughts were, no way, too hard. But a very comfy ‘fit’. Feels like it would be great for longer days. Ergonomics were just right. But the screen, well got to say I had buffeting. At six foot my GS is near perfect. The S1xr, would either need a shorty screen or some other mod, for me.

Vibrations. This was the killer for me. Not from the bars. From  the seat, through the frame. Like an old fashioned buzzy inline
four. Apart from the flat feel at low revs this was the biggest thing I noticed on the test ride. A real shame.
So, if your coming from an inline four sportsbike. This might be for you. A flying machine but not laid back twist and go like a GS or Ducati. Coming from twins or other adv bikes, get a test ride before parting with a huge chunk of cash/debt.
When returning the S1 I also noticed that you have to fish about a bit to find the sidestand. Could probably do with a small mod.

To sum up. Fantastic bike, some vibes. Just too focussed for me. It is basically a comfy, tall litre sport bike. Some people are going to love it.

Thanks to Vincent at Perigueux for the use of their demo.

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: 2020 test ride
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 01:13:06 PM »
Good review thanks. Didnt notice the vibrations on the one I rode, and the torque at lower revs was fine for me. As for a GS - no thank you, but each to their own preferences.  :305:
PSH

Offline Jbiker

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »
The vibes were like a high frequency tingle. Might ease off when properly run in. Not prepared to chance it.

GS, heavy but very accomplished allrounder. Just done Alps trip with Tracer 900 and 950 hypermotard sp for company. The sp could not keep up. The Tracer rider is looking at buying the new 1250 gs ready for next years Pyrenees trip...image is a problem for many, esp those who have not given one a proper try out.
I went from Multi1200, s1000r, R1200gslc, KTM1290 gt superduke, r1200gs lc. Spot the only bike owned twice. 35,000 kilometers on this one, bought new in 2017, then brought with me from the UK and re registered here in France.

Loved the light feel of the XR, handling etc. Motor just too all or nothing me. Seems I prefer big twins. Something for everyone though. Some great motorcycles to choose from these days. Open minded about the next one. Probably try the 1260 Multi, maybe wait for the nearly ready v4 multi and an obvious replacement also could be the R1250gs. Nice choices to have and lots of people are going to love the new XR.

Online esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 08:01:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jbiker [+]
The vibes were like a high frequency tingle. Might ease off when properly run in. Not prepared to chance it.

GS, heavy but very accomplished allrounder. Just done Alps trip with Tracer 900 and 950 hypermotard sp for company. The sp could not keep up. The Tracer rider is looking at buying the new 1250 gs ready for next years Pyrenees trip...image is a problem for many, esp those who have not given one a proper try out.
I went from Multi1200, s1000r, R1200gslc, KTM1290 gt superduke, r1200gs lc. Spot the only bike owned twice. 35,000 kilometers on this one, bought new in 2017, then brought with me from the UK and re registered here in France.

Loved the light feel of the XR, handling etc. Motor just too all or nothing me. Seems I prefer big twins. Something for everyone though. Some great motorcycles to choose from these days. Open minded about the next one. Probably try the 1260 Multi, maybe wait for the nearly ready v4 multi and an obvious replacement also could be the R1250gs. Nice choices to have and lots of people are going to love the new XR.

Vibes do disappear as the engine breaks in. Similar experience as yours with the vibes on my 2020 XR. They were "traveling" across the bike depending on what rpm's you are at. Handlebars, pegs, seat... Now the bike has just over 2000 km's and they are gone. Perhaps just a tiny bit, but more or less typical inline 4 vibes, not even close to annoying. I also own an 2016 R1200R and its boxer engine vibrates much more when you go over 5000 rpm's compared to XR
Re the GS and XR, 2 different bikes. GS is definitely more touring ready, but the XR is much more fun to ride and still very capable to travel long distance. Yes, that low down boxer's torque is great, my R12R was even slightly quicker than a GS (lighter weight and shorter final gear ratio), but it doesn't give you that smile and adrenaline rush that you get when this 4 cylinder animal starts screaming.
If you lean towards the 2 cylinder bikes, better get the new 1250 GS. Multistrada is better looking, sportier, more power, but the GS is still a better rounded bike. Much simpler and cheaper to maintain too. Just think about that 30k km's Desmo service on Multistrada...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:06:50 AM by esso_sa »

Offline Jbiker

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:29:15 AM »
Well, I am looking at a near new Multi 1200s or PIkesPeak as well as the 1250gs next.  Had a multi previously when living in the UK. Great bike with some minor niggles. Traded in, funnily enough at 15k when it was booked for a service. Cancelled the service and came out with an S1r...which is how the XR was on my radar.
GS is as you say a very rounded package. Just ‘sometimes’ wish it was not as porky, another reason why the XR appealed, superb balance and weight for the type of motorcycle. You get a work out, sometimes more than wanted when pushing on a bit in hotter weather due to the weight on the big boxer.  Lacks the excitement and soul of the Duke.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
My 2016 XR is in Cotswold Motorrad for the 18,000 mile service. To try to cheer me up before I get the bill I have been loaned the new XR demo for the day. I have just go back home after this 148 mile loop https://goo.gl/maps/YfzuBAwC8x3kpZE99

Overall, it is a very good bike but there are some flaws which make me prefer my 2016 bike.

Good points: the bike is comfy. Standard seat as good as my HP seat. Screen is okay and being able to adjust on the move is good. The Hayes brakes work very well when not leaking. Higher gearing suits touring. The suspension is good in dynamic when pressing on. Handling is less flighty and more sports bike like with the narrower bars. It's fast. Oh, and the indicators turn off more quickly as the bike senses when you are now upright after a turn rather than using a fixed time period.

Bad points: my right hand is aching. There are bad vibes in the right bar and in the seat at 4000rpm. 60mph in top gear, so you need to use lower gears to keep the revs up. I have Grip Puppies on my bike so maybe the new one would be better with the grip puppies. Road mode: press on in road mode on bumpy roads and you get sea sick as it is quite wallowy. That display: I have used it on the newer GS, new RS and now the XR. I do not like it. Too busy; too many gimmicks and the connectivity options for music and phone make it more like a Fisher Price activity centre.

For me, the original model has a rawness to it that is part of the attraction. The new bike has moved the XR further along the sport-touring axis towards touring but still has the potential to be annoying with vibrations unless you avoid certain revs. The taller gearing and revised engine does make cruising on main roads more relaxed. 70mph is around 5000rpm in top gear so well away from that nasty 4000 rpm band. This is at the expense of that snarl and growl when you open the throttle on the earlier bike: yes, when you hit 6000rpm the bike starts to accelerate rapidly but it seems to do this more serenely. Partly less noise, partly the narrower bars and partly the more protective screen.