Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Vague front end and lowering the forks through the yokes  (Read 5041 times)

Offline petekeys

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Whitchurch
Vague front end and lowering the forks through the yokes
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »
Done 600 running in miles on the XR SE since picking it up in 5 weeks ago.  It not much but its only a 30mile round trip to work and I've had another bike to run in as well.

The engine is brilliant - plenty of torq/power even keeping to the running in revs - enduces sporty riding.  I have found the front end "vagueness" quite alarming and quite dissuasive to the sporty riding nature of the engine .

A couple of weeks ago I dropped the forks through the yokes 10mm ... and that made it significantly better ... but far from perfect

Today I dropped them another 10mm ... and again its even better ... but not  perfect

Loathed to go any further. But generally I feel I can ride the bike in a much more spirited fashion turning on the front wheel rather than what it was like before  ...feeling the bike turns on the backwheel with the bike washing around at the front.

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
Re: Vague front end and lowering the forks through the yokes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »
I am of the opinion that bmw know better than me. I ride a sport, non esa and find the suspension perfect. No need to touch it. You aren't the first person I've.heard complain about the esa

Offline petekeys

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnboy1984 [+]
I am of the opinion that bmw know better than me. I ride a sport, non esa and find the suspension perfect. No need to touch it. You aren't the first person I've.heard complain about the esa

Wish I'd bought the sport... at least you can get the suspension modified.  No suspension company  will touch the ESA model

Anyway the good thing is the front end is so vague and the suspension so boingy that I'll crash it soon and then I can replace it with the non ESA model  :012:

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »
Funny init. I've got the ESA version and find it absolutely perfect. Firm yet supple all at the same time and massively confidence inspiring. Don't seem to worry about front end grip, just chuck it into a conner and around it goes on rails. Mind you I am the typical 85kg rider as specified in the manual.

I think it also depends on the bike you came to the XR from. My previous bike a Honda Crosstourer was a bit crashy at low speeds with a tendency to wallow when really pressing on. So really difficult to get exactly right for a variety of riding. Some of those that maybe came from a GS with a more touring attitude may find it a little firm.

It's a bit daft though that the suspension  isn't more adjustable for the sake of a bit of software as all the other manufacturers seem to manage it with similar systems. Personally I wouldn't change a thing but it would be nice to know I could if I wanted too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:20:20 AM by Harry H »

Offline Binky

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Farnham
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »
 :0461:
Mine rides on rails too no complaints: front, back or middle.
S1000XR - 2016
R1200RTLE - 2015

Offline petekeys

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
. Mind you I am the typical 85kg rider as specified in the manual.

And there in probably lies the issue: I'm only 65kgs!!

I think its good that several people have replied with very positive feedback on handling - I am sure i can fix it somehow. 

Its weird the bike is pretty comfy most of the time ... but when I hit bumps it has me out of the seat and on undulations it goes bouncy .. which is on in a straight line .. but nervy in corners

I think one  thing for me to  try is to strap a 20kg (plus a bit for heavier leathers etc) weight to the seat and "experience" the bike as you do: that will be a very interesting test.... now where to get a 20kg weight from??  maybe two high density breeze blocks

Offline tardis56

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Southampton
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:23:38 PM »
You need to eat more pies and steins of beer my friend. It is build for 'ze Germans' remember, with big beer bellies and plump Fraus!
I'm 95Kgs and it works fine for me.... :010:

Offline petekeys

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by tardis56 [+]
You need to eat more pies and steins of beer my friend. It is build for 'ze Germans' remember, with big beer bellies and plump Fraus!
I'm 95Kgs and it works fine for me.... :010:

:030:  I fear you might be right ... now let me see is there a manufacturer who makes bikes for little people  :164:

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
I've lost track of how many bikes I've ridden with various electric suspension,early K's with ESA 1,later 1200's then 1300's with ESA 2, Multistrada with electric Ohlins and a Multi with the Skyhook thingy and didn't like any of them.

If your Mr average and ride two up you'll be fine till you have 20,000 on the clock and things go saggy,I've lost track of the number guys I've met riding one up in Rider and Luggage mode because the shock has gone soft,and the fix is hassle and big bucks.

Buy a stocker the world is your oyster :002:,I'm not saying the sus is any good because mine isn't the rear has all the feel of the 50$ stock shock my 1100s came with 16 years ago but at least you have the chance to fix it with after market or just soften it off with a C spanner and screw driver.

Sorry for not having fix but if you look on the other forum Dave had the same problem and sold the bike after much talk with various.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »
Love the system you can have your cake and EAT it.  LOL I am about 100Kgs fully armoured up and the sus is good but I am ony 5"7 so little bit of a stretch to the ground but nothing too serious.  Does tick all the boxes for a do it all though the other half would like a softer mode when doing 3K+ tours.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

dysfunctional