Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tarts handbag / Scuff protection  (Read 731 times)

Online Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
Tarts handbag / Scuff protection
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:38:32 AM »
I noticed a tendancy to scuff the under seat panels when mounting /dismounting so thought so protection was advised. I stumbled across some M-sport stripes for less than a sheet of  3-M clear so thought it was worth a try .

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
Re: Tarts handbag / Scuff protection
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 08:09:03 AM »
Nice touch...link?
BMW S1000XR TE

Online Macduff

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »
This was cut from some BMW 1-series M-sport stripes (20quid) there are loads of M-Sport stripes on ebay just pick the ones that take your fancy. Note you have to trim to fit yourself as there isnt any specific 2020 XR kits and they would be a lot more than 20quid if they were available.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-Series-Side-Stripes-2-9m-Car-decal-graphic-M-sport-E87-E88-F20-F21-E81/161787362148?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p205

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
Excellent, thanks.
BMW S1000XR TE

Offline Mab1067

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »
Cracking idea. Think it works well as you have the Msport seat??
By The way how does that seat work out for comfort etc. Only real fault on my one. 2 hours in saddle and thats enough, start to get the numb bum feeling after that.

Online Macduff

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »
Longest single stint so far on the M-sport seat is about 130 miles for a couple of hours, no issues noted. Riding 30 miles home from dealer on the stock seat had some shuffling away from the seat pan edges, so early indications are its easier on the butt than the stocker so far.
 I think there is room for some additional foam in either of these to fill out the gap between the cover and stock to flatten out the dip, that might be on the cards at some point if I find the edges of the seat pan intrusive.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:54:49 PM by Macduff »

Offline MSM

• XR Junior
  • Town: Cardiff
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »
Now that is a smart idea for paint protection.  Works well on the Ice Grey, which really could do with something like this to add some colour to the mix. :)

Regarding the M seat... Am i right to gather from your post that the M seat does significantly flatten off the edges of the seat dish compared to standard seat?  Also, is the seat cover area a high grip textured material rather than the relatively smooth material on the standard seat?  I am hoping the M seat will be better suited for more active lateral body movement whilst riding.

Thanks,

MSM

Online Macduff

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 05:29:17 PM »
M-seat is the same smooth cover across the main part of the butt area & it’s only moderately thicker than the stock or possibly stiffer foam.

Offline MSM

• XR Junior
  • Town: Cardiff
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »
Thank you, that is useful to know.  Sounds like the M seat is basically what the standard seat ought to have been, along with a bit of a nicer look.  I had hoped it might be more like the M seat on the 2020 RR M package, which was really good for letting you move around on it, whilst also gripping well.  Sounds like getting a standard seat modified by someone who knows what they are doing will probably get me closer to what I am looking for. :)

Offline Saint

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Reston
Custom Two-Up Seat
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 09:31:09 PM »
JohnLongo.net built a custom two-up seat for us.
Saint