Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Price of New XR after BREXIT  (Read 799 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Price of New XR after BREXIT
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:25:13 AM »
Been wondering if the UK leaves the EU with no deal (or even a with deal) if the cost of a new bike delivered in 2021 would be subject to an import tax and therefore cost more. Any ideas?  :305:
PSH

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
Re: Price of New XR after BREXIT
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 12:19:04 PM »
"European-built vehicles imported to the UK from 2021 are set to become around £1,500 more expensive after the government confirmed that these vehicles would be subject to a 10 per cent tariff from 1 January."

That is assuming WTO rules apply and that the appropriate tariff code continues to cover cars and bikes and they don't split bikes into something like 'Leisure Vehicles' with a different rate.
Regards
Scotti

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 12:42:12 PM »
Have you looked at the Euro exchange rate? Even without any additional tax, there will need to be a significant adjustment as I don't sense there is going to be any improvement in the coming months.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that used bike traders from Belgium, Germany etc are scooping up loads of bikes from our secondhand stock, taking advantage of the exchange rate and the PCP disposals. We'll end up with a used bike market where only the Deauvilles and  Hongdus are left  :012:

Personally, I am going to hang onto my 2x 2016 bikes  :821:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 01:28:03 PM »
Thanks for the views above, which I agree with. Doesnt look good, but may actually improve second hand values if the cost of new bikes in the UK becomes higher.

Guess I will have chat with my local dealer, although doubt they will actually know anything - I was planning to order a new 2021 XR TE for delivery in March, but wouldnt be too happy if I had to pay an additional 10% which would equate to around £1,500. Serves me right for voting for BREXIT I hear all the remainers saying  :232: :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 03:24:11 PM »
We certainly are living in interesting times...I have a bike worth more than I paid for it 11 years ago....yea I voted remain but i’ve Absolutely no problem what so ever with the current economic climate  :001:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:03:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
We certainly are living in interesting times...I have a bike worth more than I paid for it 11 years ago....yea I voted remain but i’ve Absolutely no problem what so ever with the current economic climate  :001:

I would have put money on your being a Remainer  :082:
PSH

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Been wondering if the UK leaves the EU with no deal (or even a with deal) if the cost of a new bike delivered in 2021 would be subject to an import tax and therefore cost more. Any ideas?  :305:

Brexit!  :156:  :110: :005: OMG!  we’ll be discussing Covind 19 and Black lives mater and the US elections next.
Joking apart it’s a good point!

If and when, I go for a new XR it’ll be an approved\ used one I think, I may hold fire until the M sport ones come out.
Which they will as BMW are looking a combining the marketing and branding for bikes and cars to M sport.

I guess the used price may still reflect the import tax if there is any but you pay the price if you do not haggle whatever the Tax situation is.

After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Brexit!  :156:  :110: :005: OMG!  we’ll be discussing Covind 19 and Black lives mater and the US elections next.
Joking apart it’s a good point!

If and when, I go for a new XR it’ll be an approved\ used one I think, I may hold fire until the M sport ones come out.
Which they will as BMW are looking a combining the marketing and branding for bikes and cars to M sport.

I guess the used price may still reflect the import tax if there is any but you pay the price if you do not haggle whatever the Tax situation is.

You can order a M Sport version now  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »
Bought my X/R in jan 16 probably the best starting point I have ever had on a bike, it’s the proverbial million miles away from how it was when I bought it, I have two bikes which are inline 4’s not a snowballs chance in hell of me buying another.....that’s assuming Yamaha do not put their Big Bang four in a big Traillie.

Currently all my efforts are going into my KTM GT but that really is another story for another forum.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:21:04 PM by Winger »

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 05:46:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]

The used price is based entirely on the total new price of the bike. 

The S/H price will be - "How high a % of the new retail price can I get away with - to entice a buyer?"

Taxes don't come into it.

dysfunctional