Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar/Vibration thoughts.  (Read 485 times)

Offline sak240

• XR Junior
  • Bike: MY16 S1000XR Red
Handlebar/Vibration thoughts.
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
Hello all,

Just wanna give some back story,  I have been on my (2016)S1000XR for some time now.  I love it and have to keep it for a couple more years at least so I was thinking I might want to start trying to cure this vibration issue.  I have suburban machines 9 oz bar ends currently and that helped a lot but really I would like more.  I recently went on a 5500km ride and found the vibration to be ok but when I needed to squeeze hard to take advantage of the heated grips my hands went numb.  As well as my phone basically destroyed itself on its maiden voyage on the bar mount.  I have recently learned the company I use for my bar mount has a damper!  I will try that.  So I read the forums constantly to see if there are any new innovations in the vibration game and it seems it’s basically get the 2017+ parts and that’s all.  I was next to a co worker who has a F800GS with a rox anti vibe and was thinking wonder if that would work.  Then I did some research to find no one really runs one due to the height and length of our cables.  I thought that’s not a huge deal to change I would have thought someone would have done it by now.  Then I started reading about putting r1200r bars to narrow the bars however keeping all the hand guards and holes for controls.  One of the negatives to that was it lowered the bars so guys hand to raise them up 1.5-2”.  So then I started thinking what if you put the rox anti vibe riser on with those lower bars, it would essentially lower your controls but then raise them back up to factory height.  I currently have a riser on my bike with all stock everything with no issues so this seemed like a plausible setup to help with vibration.  I figured if I did this and added the 2017 rubbers I should see a significant difference, I was then gonna add a little weight inside the bars for fun and put on the evo tec hand guards for even more weight.

I’m only hear to ask people their thoughts, respectively of course.  I have been thinking about this Vibration issue for a long time.

I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Erin

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Handlebar/Vibration thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:47:44 PM »
This issue has been done to death and what we've found is it's an individual bike thing....some bikes vibrate a huge amount, some a little and some not at all. My 17, which has the "so called" updated handlebar rubbers, vibrated quite badly for the first 2-3000 km and then started to smooth out a bit...was still quite bad though...Evo Tech bar ends helped greatly.

I then fitted Arrow headers and re-torqued the engine mount bolts and the vibes basically disappeared. I believe a lot of the engine vibrations are transmitted through to the frame by the "solidly mounted" stock exhaust headers...they're a heavy mass and mounted solidly to the cyl head and quite tight mounts underneath. The Arrow headers I fitted are just spring loaded to the head and have a sliding flexible rubber mount underneath, so no solid mounts at all, they're also nearly 1/4 the weight of the stock system.

My bike is now one of the smoothest i4 engines I know of (of the ones without balance shafts).
I have previously owned a Honda Blackbird which was turbine smooth, but it had twin balance shafts in the engine which did wonders for the natural i4 vibrations.

Smithy. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:46:33 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »
I have had 3 XRs - 2015, 2017 & 2019, all were unmodified, the 2015 had vibrations noticeable in the handlebars and mirrors. I purchased HVMP bar ends and fitted these to the 2105 bike, and the vibration thereafter was minimal. Vibrations on the 2017 & 2019 bikes were small when new, but as I still had them, I fitted the bar ends and again, no significant vibrations thereafter.
I find the XR engines very smooth, and vibrations are minimal.
By comparison, I had a test ride on a Ducatti Multi and found the vibrations much worse. I have also ridden a number of GSs and found that they also vibrate more than my XRs.  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:34:21 PM »
+1 with Smithy from vibes have been done to death( do a search) Smithy has gone Arrow headers and Rapid bike, where as I went Akrapovic /Power Commander but the bottom line no effing intrusion from the TUV restrictions that’s the source of the vibes.

I had the handle bar rubber fitting upgrade... made it worse for months till it settled down,when I think how bad it used to be...pretty dam good now, and as I have other bikes to ride it’s not me getting used to it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:01:53 PM by Winger »

Offline sak240

• XR Junior
  • Bike: MY16 S1000XR Red
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »
I apologize, I tried to avoid the “search” response  but I understand where you guys are coming from.  As I stated I have been reading about the vibration issue since 2016, I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on the setup that I had mentioned as it had not been tried, I did search extensively if that combo of parts had been tried.  I do realize many people in many threads have said the “vibration issue” is person to person bike to bike.  I understand all of that.  I was just trying to go outside the box as there is no definitive fix.  I am not creating another thread about vibes rather a thread about this combination and whether guys have insight on its fitment or if they think it would help adding a couple more rubber isolators. I realize I’m beating a dead horse but why not talk about something new, would be nice to get some thoughts as it’s not cheap to do and usually guys on forums have tried everything. I do appreciate those who advised a exhaust manifold change may have helped I will certainly explore that but this seemed a little more cost effective.  I figured no reason to not keep trying to attack the issue.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:17:03 PM by sak240 »

Offline Perfpower1

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2019 XR
  • Town: Savannah
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:35:19 AM »
Guys - I bought some offset handlebar risers - see below link.  My bike is a 2019 XR.  When I removed the stock handlebar clamps and handlebar, I noticed a Torx screw on each side holding the bottom half of the bar mount to what appears to be a flat rubber isolator.   I tried loosening each of the Torx screws but the whole assembly moves when you do that.  Is there a special pool required to hold the lower bar mount in place while you either loosen or tighten the screw?  I have ordered a service manual but it hasn't arrived yet.  Thanks for any help.  Dave

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2015-2019-BMW-S1000XR-1-1-4-32mm-Motorcycle-Offset-Handlebar-Mount-Risers/283733419979?pageci=e2e08e6e-2ce3-4cb8-9dce-f39953c7009b

Online Watshot

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 05:05:59 AM »
It’s been a while since I’ve been there to change the revised isolator rubbers, but if you’re referring to what I think you are, there is a nut underneath on the end of the torx bolt. You need a short spanner to hold it whilst you turn the bolt. My best guess from memory is that it’s about 16mm.  :028:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
Is there an answer to get rid of the vibes ? that’s a yes, is there a cheap solution that’s a no.

Offline Perfpower1

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2019 XR
  • Town: Savannah
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
  You are correct on the nut underneath the handlebar mount. Thanks brother! 👍