Theme Select



Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Calliper recall  (Read 4238 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bytown Bandit

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 6
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, ON.
  • Country: ca
Calliper recall
on: September 25, 2020, 01:13:45 PM
Just got my S1000XR 2 weeks ago. Took it in for it’s 1000km service and I find out there is a recall, and it  wasn’t done before purchasing the bike.

What is the issue with the callipers? And do you think its ok to ride it with out the recall completed.

I love this bike, but I will admit I’m a little disappointed. Never had these issues with my Japanese motorcycles...
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

#1

Offline Mr NSB

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 114
  • Town: Hampshire
  • Country: england
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 01:22:51 PM
I read somewhere probably on here that some callipers on the 2020 models can leak/weep. Obviously if yours are in the leaking category your dealer would not have let you ride away. I would want reassurance from them the bike is safe to ride so a quick call to the dealer should answer your question.
Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:23:56 PM by Mr NSB

#2

Offline Winger

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2939
  • Town: Birmingham
  • Country: gb
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 01:24:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Bytown Bandit [+]
Just got my S1000XR 2 weeks ago. Took it in for it’s 1000km service and I find out there is a recall, and it  wasn’t done before purchasing the bike.

What is the issue with the callipers? And do you think its ok to ride it with out the recall completed.

I love this bike, but I will admit I’m a little disappointed. Never had these issues with my Japanese motorcycles...

Hello  :002:

#3

Offline Bytown Bandit

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 6
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, ON.
  • Country: ca
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 01:40:37 PM
Dealer said it would be ok to ride but keep an eye on it and check it daily.

Guess I’m just a little disappointed with the dealer as it should have been done before the bike left the showroom.

Parts are to be in next week, and I already rode a 1000 km like this, so I’m going to take it easy (if I can lol) and go for a ride. 

Also an abrasive recall? Something about a line rubbing on the frame? Apparently not serious but it needs attention.
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

#4

Offline Macduff

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 57
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
  • Country: gb
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 02:53:38 PM
Wonder if the "abrasive recall" is the clutch cable rubbing on the back of the radiator fins?

#5

Offline esso_sa

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
  • Country: ba
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 03:28:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Macduff [+]
Wonder if the "abrasive recall" is the clutch cable rubbing on the back of the radiator fins?

That was the case on mine, but I fixed it myself. Don't know is there any official recall for clutch cable, but I would really love to know what that "abrasive recall" really is.

Re the callipers, it's a never ending saga since 2019 when they first fitted Hayes callipers on a GS1250. They leak oil on some bikes.
However, I heard that they solved the problem and started fitting revised callipers on bikes produced from May 2020. If the last 7 digits of your VIN start with "6D", you should be fine.
Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:33:31 PM by esso_sa

#6

Offline Bytown Bandit

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 6
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, ON.
  • Country: ca
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 08:56:51 PM
Bike is going in this week for both recalls.

I will update the forum on what exactly the abrasive recall is.
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

#7

Offline Bytown Bandit

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 6
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, ON.
  • Country: ca
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 10:28:44 PM
Well both front callipers were replaced. Abrasive recall and now a ABS recall are not done. Bike went to the dealer for winter storage so there doing both while it’s there.

Abrasive recall is the wiring harness rubbing on the Frame. Could lose the display due to a broken or worn wire casing.

ABS recall is a bolt in the ABS module needs to replaced with a plastic fitting.

Love this bike, but man the issues.

Anybody else had these recalls done?
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

#8

Offline AUXR1000

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 23
  • Country: au
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 06:02:15 AM
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
That was the case on mine, but I fixed it myself. Don't know is there any official recall for clutch cable, but I would really love to know what that "abrasive recall" really is.

Re the callipers, it's a never ending saga since 2019 when they first fitted Hayes callipers on a GS1250. They leak oil on some bikes.
However, I heard that they solved the problem and started fitting revised callipers on bikes produced from May 2020. If the last 7 digits of your VIN start with "6D", you should be fine.

I have seen a bike with the last 7 starting with 6D with a leaking caliper.

#9

Offline esso_sa

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
  • Country: ba
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 09:10:14 AM
*Originally Posted by AUXR1000 [+]
I have seen a bike with the last 7 starting with 6D with a leaking caliper.

My bike is 6D, built in May 2020, and few days ago I got a call from my dealer who told me that there is only one recall for my bike - ABS Modulator bolt. No mention about wiring harness rubbing or calliper recall...