Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Calliper recall  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Bytown Bandit

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, ON.
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 09:28:35 AM
I would ask your dealer about these recalls. 
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Offline flafonta

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Richardson
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 09:01:02 PM
Just received a letter about the recall, mine is a 2021. But no fix yet, just keep an eye on it for now.

Offline Bleo

• XR Junior
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 08:59:30 PM
Does anyone know if they are replacing calipers with fixed versions of the same or are they being replaced with brembo? Over on the r1200gs forum they are saying brembo's are being used as the replacements. link: https://www.r1200gs.info/threads/stop-sale-recall.52549/

Supposedly bmw has at least some of the parts waiting in customs in the united states but who knows when dealers will receive them. I've heard anywhere from end of the month to March speaking with multiple dealers.

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 10:05:21 PM
*Originally Posted by flafonta [+]
Just received a letter about the recall, mine is a 2021. But no fix yet, just keep an eye on it for now.

Ditto, mine is a 2020 from March 2020 and I thought it was outside the recall window. As you say, the letter says "Remedy is Unavailable".

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 10:13:28 PM
Over on the RR forum many are hearing they will be replaced with Nissin calipers.

Offline BNAHOSS

• XR Member
  • Bike: ‘21 XR
  • Town: Nashville, TN
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 05:24:33 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Over on the RR forum, many are hearing they will be replaced with Nissin calipers.

Adding to the speculation here. I ordered back in OCT, last week the dealer told me it was on a boat in the Atlantic. While the stop-sale has been lifted (at least on new orders), he said he can still see the VIN flagged with the recall. He's uncertain if the Germans replaced the F Brakes themselves, and haven't updated the VIN yet, or, they will pull the bike and replace it in NJ, or if it will make its way to them (Chattanooga) to replace. (they have not been sent anything from the mothership). In addition, the Brembo v Nissan comments. The RR currently has Nissan, I would assume if the part is already on the assembly line, AND it's readily available to them, they'd outfit the XR with Nissans. Makes sense...

All of that, and it's still a crapshoot. MY US XR is due in February, I'll definitely update the group once I get my hands on a physical bike...
stupidity has a knack of getting its way ~ Albert Camus

Offline AUXR1000

• XR Member
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 11:08:40 AM
Where I am there's a directive to replace the caliper with a Hayes caliper if the caliper is manufactured before a certain date. If the caliper is manufactured after the determined date only the caliper seals are replaced.
Of all of the calipers I have seen with a weep, it has always been the right side.

Offline BNAHOSS

• XR Member
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 05:44:21 PM
Still haven't received my XR, must be on the slow boat... However, being a holiday over here, I had some time to go snipe hunting.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/BMW/S%2525201000%252520XR#recalls

Really useful information on the Feds website. Most interesting to me is the update sent to dealers. (date unknown)

Hayes Brake Caliper Update
As the year draws to a close, I wanted to communicate the latest information on the arrival of brake caliper replacement parts as we enter the new year We are excited to confirm the planned shipment of approximately 1,500 Brembo calipers in the month of January and an even larger supply of over 2,000 Brembo and Nissin calipers coming to us in February. The team is working closely with our counterparts in Munich to calendarize the shipments and calculate the anticipated arrival to your stores.

We wanted you to know that you have the support of the U.S. and Munich executive management teams to see you through this crisis and we will continue to support you until we have reached an acceptable level of available parts level here in the U.S. and Canada. A more detailed bulletin will be published early in the new year to outline the measures.

Motorrad Dealer Direct

EDIT to add:
Customer Vehicles: Customers should have already received a recall letter via First Class mail informing them of the recall. The letter states that a remedy is not available at this time and a follow-up letter will be sent once the remedy is available. BMW is in the process of ensuring that the necessary parts and procedures are available prior to contacting customers to schedule an appointment with their dealer. Customers are advised to wait until they receive their follow-up letter, if possible.

The front brake calipers will be inspected for weeping or "sweating" of brake fluid and replaced if necessary, with an updated caliper, at no charge to the customer. A TSARA case will be required 1f no problem is found, and it will not be required if the calipers are being replaced. Calipers must be replaced as a pair.

Limited parts will be available in late January for K50, K51, K52, and K69 with larger quantities arriving throughout the month of February and additionally in March. Parts ordering will be detailed in a service bulletin in late January.

Dealer Stock: New vehicles in dealer inventory must have the calipers replaced with the updated parts before being retailed. Dealers will be able to request a set of calipers for vehicles that are presold as soon as parts become available, however, customer vehicles already in operation must take priority at your dealership. Details will also be provided in the upcoming service bulletin.

BMW Stock: Calipers will be replaced with new parts at the warehouse and these vehicles will arrive ready to be retailed. The team will work off a priority list with customer sold vehicles repaired first. Priority repairs will begin in February followed by general inventory repairs directly thereafter.
Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:13:53 PM by BNAHOSS

Offline Bleo

• XR Junior
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 05:57:42 PM
My dealer updated me recently reiterating that parts are still delayed in customs, there aren't many to go around, and that he hopes to have parts for my bike by early February. I've been around long enough to know early February is a highly unlikely timeline and expect things to drag on for quite a while longer but as always prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Offline BNAHOSS

• XR Member
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 06:04:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Bleo [+]
My dealer updated me recently reiterating that parts are still delayed in customs, there aren't many to go around, and that he hopes to have parts for my bike by early February. I've been around long enough to know early February is a highly unlikely timeline and expect things to drag on for quite a while longer but as always prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

What? The US Government is slow? *GASP*

The way I read the Notices, BMW will simply inspect and replace (if needed) existing bikes. If it's new, or unsold, they (me) get the royal treatment to Nissan/Brembo's... The NHTSA further explains the root cause. A seal, which seals against a ruff lining, allowing seepage...