Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Calliper recall  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Bytown Bandit

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, ON.
Calliper recall
« on: September 25, 2020, 01:13:45 PM »
Just got my S1000XR 2 weeks ago. Took it in for it’s 1000km service and I find out there is a recall, and it  wasn’t done before purchasing the bike.

What is the issue with the callipers? And do you think its ok to ride it with out the recall completed.

I love this bike, but I will admit I’m a little disappointed. Never had these issues with my Japanese motorcycles...
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Online Mr NSB

• XR Member
  • Town: Hampshire
Re: Calliper recall
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 01:22:51 PM »
I read somewhere probably on here that some callipers on the 2020 models can leak/weep. Obviously if yours are in the leaking category your dealer would not have let you ride away. I would want reassurance from them the bike is safe to ride so a quick call to the dealer should answer your question.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:23:56 PM by Mr NSB »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bytown Bandit [+]
Just got my S1000XR 2 weeks ago. Took it in for it’s 1000km service and I find out there is a recall, and it  wasn’t done before purchasing the bike.

What is the issue with the callipers? And do you think its ok to ride it with out the recall completed.

I love this bike, but I will admit I’m a little disappointed. Never had these issues with my Japanese motorcycles...

Hello  :002:

Offline Bytown Bandit

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »
Dealer said it would be ok to ride but keep an eye on it and check it daily.

Guess I’m just a little disappointed with the dealer as it should have been done before the bike left the showroom.

Parts are to be in next week, and I already rode a 1000 km like this, so I’m going to take it easy (if I can lol) and go for a ride. 

Also an abrasive recall? Something about a line rubbing on the frame? Apparently not serious but it needs attention.
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Online Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »
Wonder if the "abrasive recall" is the clutch cable rubbing on the back of the radiator fins?

Online esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Macduff [+]
Wonder if the "abrasive recall" is the clutch cable rubbing on the back of the radiator fins?

That was the case on mine, but I fixed it myself. Don't know is there any official recall for clutch cable, but I would really love to know what that "abrasive recall" really is.

Re the callipers, it's a never ending saga since 2019 when they first fitted Hayes callipers on a GS1250. They leak oil on some bikes.
However, I heard that they solved the problem and started fitting revised callipers on bikes produced from May 2020. If the last 7 digits of your VIN start with "6D", you should be fine.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:33:31 PM by esso_sa »

Offline Bytown Bandit

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 08:56:51 PM »
Bike is going in this week for both recalls.

I will update the forum on what exactly the abrasive recall is.
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada