Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Calliper recall  (Read 3717 times)

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Re: Calliper recall
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 07:40:39 PM
Mine (March 2020 production, bought in October) is going in for its running in / break in service tomorrow morning. I'll see what the dealer says, but I don't see any signs of seepage which, I think, means it'll be Hayes for life.

Offline Bytown Bandit

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, ON.
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 11:40:43 PM
Emailed my dealer today to see what they had to say about the latest information posted here today. I had my front calipers replaced in October and apparently, they will be checking those calipers to see if they are weeping or leaking.

Message from my dealer... Another recall?

Your brake calipers have already been replaced under the old recall. There is a new recall which requires inspecting the callipers again.

All bikes that we have in storage will be inspected if this recall applies to ensure that there are no leaking calipers. If any of the bikes do have leaking calipers we will get the replacements ordered to have them installed ASAP.

My S1000XR is at the dealership for winter storage so I hope this will all get settled by mid-April when our riding season usually starts. I sure don't want my bike laid up while waiting on parts during the riding season.

Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:58:24 AM by Bytown Bandit
Bytown Bandit
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada

Offline BNAHOSS

• XR Member
  • Bike: ‘21 XR
  • Town: Nashville, TN
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 11:55:14 PM
Bytown Bandit

I’ve not read of other countries requiring this fix. I’ve only heard of it from the US boneheads. They are fixing existing sales, and replacing new undelivered.

I’d suspect, if others develop an issue, it would be covered under warranty.
Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:56:50 PM by BNAHOSS
stupidity has a knack of getting its way ~ Albert Camus

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 10:38:19 PM
US Info only:

600 mile service today, my brakes are not leaking. However, the dealer confirmed to me that BMW will replace calipers if the customer requests it even if they are not leaking, perhaps on the basis that they may leak in the future. I will take this option (when it is available) because, if the new parts are Brembo or Nissin, I do not want to resell a bike without the mod. I also learned that all new bikes are are being held immediately after import by BMW and will not be released to dealers until the brake calipers have been replaced; it is deemed more efficient to do it centrally rather than distributed across the dealer network.