Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Should you change for the new model  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
Should you change for the new model
on: October 02, 2020, 11:05:29 AM
I have noticed that quite a few have moved to the 2020 XR having owned the previous version. I have a well sorted 16 XR which has been defatted/catted full akrapovic with rapidbike evo, no vibrations issues and lots of extras to make the riding experience better. Is the new bike so much better that I should change, from what I have seen and heard so far I don’t think it is a game changer.
It will be nice to hear your experience

Online Mr NSB

• XR Pro
  • Town: Hampshire
Re: Should you change for the new model
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:15:05 PM
We are all different so there will be lots of different answers. A number of owners will change just because there is a newer model. A number will change as they end there PCP/HP agreements I would also suspect. I'm sure some who have modded their bike to suit them will hang on to them longer and may change when they feel the bike has become a little too old or has too many miles or maybe just want what a more modern bike will have, likely more tech. And there will many other reasons why we change our bikes.

I'm a late convert to the XR only owning my 2019 bike for the last 3 months and I'm sure in a couple of years time I will probably want a change. I chose mine over a new one as I wanted to own it and not have any finance costs, so a 1 year old example is what I could afford so that's what I got. Also I preferred  its looks with the M-Sport colour scheme, though now the 2021 is out with the M-Sport colours which I think it looks lovely I may have made a different decision. I also prefer analogue instruments even if you only get a analogue rev counter these days. TFT displays do not do it for me though I'm sure I will have to accept them as time goes on as there won't be any choice. I have a friend who is looking for a new bike and number one on his list is a TFT screen when I asked for his reasoning he answered because it looks nice.

Sorry the above waffling doesn't answer your question  :155:

Offline Spiceboy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bury St Edmunds
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:31:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Boneman1 [+]
I have noticed that quite a few have moved to the 2020 XR having owned the previous version. I have a well sorted 16 XR which has been defatted/catted full akrapovic with rapidbike evo, no vibrations issues and lots of extras to make the riding experience better. Is the new bike so much better that I should change, from what I have seen and heard so far I don’t think it is a game changer.
It will be nice to hear your experience

DUDE!!!!! Test Ride One and find out for yourself. It'll be the only way you'll know if it's a personal game changer, it was for me. I'll be changing next year and just hoping that the "M 1000 XR" will be in production. :305: :305: :305:
Cheers,
Charlie Spiceboy.

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
  • Town: Boston, MA
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 02:20:06 PM
I bought a 2016 this year with full Akrapovic exhaust, rapid bike evo, Helibars with heavier weights etc etc. My friend bought a 2020 XR. We've ridden each other's bikes and both agree that the 2016 does not give anything up other than TFT dash and cornering headlights if that's your thing. I don't care for TFT but cornering lights is something I would like. Obviously not enough for me to get a 2020.

My 2016 XR with those mods are neck to neck to his 2020 XR in every gear. In 5th and 6th my bike is quicker. The 2016 is more livelier and sportier where the 2020 is more docile and better for touring.

They are similar with some differences. I am happy with my decision.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 04:28:20 PM
As the already posts say...bike ownership is complicated, with PCP here in the UK a fair number are just ‘Renting’ pride of ownership and fettling to make the bike better are things of past.

The game changer for me was 20 years ago..owning more than one bike, but sure finance/space it’s not for everyone, for me the last part of my X/R puzzle was finding the right seat after Wilbers/Dymags/Akra headers/Power Commander, and my current project is doing the same to a KTMGT, two bikes that reach exactly the same conclusion but do it in a totally different way,the end game with my X/R is a fabulous bike but I wouldn’t buy another life is way too short, but then again I will have this current one years from now it will take BM years to get even close to it with all the TUV restrictions

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 04:58:13 PM
*Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
I bought a 2016 this year with full Akrapovic exhaust, rapid bike evo, Helibars with heavier weights etc etc. My friend bought a 2020 XR. We've ridden each other's bikes and both agree that the 2016 does not give anything up other than TFT dash and cornering headlights if that's your thing. I don't care for TFT but cornering lights is something I would like. Obviously not enough for me to get a 2020.
My 2016 XR with those mods are neck to neck to his 2020 XR in every gear. In 5th and 6th my bike is quicker. The 2016 is more livelier and sportier where the 2020 is more docile and better for touring.

They are similar with some differences. I am happy with my decision.

That's  the US emissions bike. Kind of amazing a non modified 2020 keeps almost up with a modified  2016 given throttle restrictions, and now an intake flapper valve. I wonder what a Brentune would do on that, and on the europe 2020. Yes gears are quite a bit longer in 4th, 5th and 6th. For sporty riding 4, 5, and 6 are useless, that's why BMW made them longer
Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 04:58:58 PM by Salem

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 06:09:24 PM
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
That's  the US emissions bike. Kind of amazing a non modified 2020 keeps almost up with a modified  2016 given throttle restrictions, and now an intake flapper valve. I wonder what a Brentune would do on that, and on the europe 2020. Yes gears are quite a bit longer in 4th, 5th and 6th. For sporty riding 4, 5, and 6 are useless, that's why BMW made them longer

Brentuning is 20 min from me. Gonna have them dyno tune my bike in the spring.

for nearly double the price the 2020 better be a long better for that type of money.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 06:57:26 PM
for nearly double the price the 2020 better be a long better for that type of money.
I don't get it, double to what?

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 07:03:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
I don't get it, double to what?

2020 is nearly double the cost of a 2016. the 1st gen stayed mostly the same through the years. 2020 has a few improvements but not worth double the cost of a 2016 IMO.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 07:40:31 PM
2020 is nearly double the cost of a 2016. the 1st gen stayed mostly the same through the years. 2020 has a few improvements but not worth double the cost of a 2016 IMO.
Not to me. I was one of the early buyers and got a decent trade in value. I agree though XR values are today not great. My dealer has a few, including mine, not selling. I would not even buy mine back at trade in price, and it comes with dealer installed new chain, new tires, and warranty