Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2020 TE luggage rack  (Read 2794 times)

Offline iandavid

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR TE Grey
  • Town: East Yorkshire
2020 TE luggage rack
on: October 04, 2020, 10:41:14 AM
Just picked up my new XR TE and I noticed that the rear luggage rack will move left to right if you push it.  Though bugger so I took the rack off expecting to find the main carrier screws loose but discovered that it's meant to have sideways movement. The fixing is in a groove with plastics slider and everything was as tight as a Ducks arse. I suppose its to help align the top box when fitting?

Offline bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
Re: 2020 TE luggage rack
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 03:48:43 PM
This was the same on the Triumph Tiger I had a few years ago. Triumph said it was a feature to help stability in cross winds. Not sure it made any difference.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 10:14:22 PM
*Originally Posted by iandavid [+]
Just picked up my new XR TE and I noticed that the rear luggage rack will move left to right if you push it.  Though bugger so I took the rack off expecting to find the main carrier screws loose but discovered that it's meant to have sideways movement. The fixing is in a groove with plastics slider and everything was as tight as a Ducks arse. I suppose its to help align the top box when fitting?

I think it's actually a "Honda" thing, they do this to help prevent vibration fatigue/cracking. My old 2010 VFR1200 had the same setup on the top box mount.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 12:22:27 PM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I think it's actually a "Honda" thing, they do this to help prevent vibration fatigue/cracking. My old 2010 VFR1200 had the same setup on the top box mount.

Smithy.

Same with the Triumph Explorer I had ages ago  :305:
PSH

Online Mab1067

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 01:25:56 PM
Has anybody sourced an adaptor plate as yet to allow other makes of top box etc to be fitted.
GivI seem to have one but no price and no availability?? Any ideas.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 10:19:39 PM
How about an adapter plate to enable me to attach my gen 1 top box to the gen 2 TE top box attachment plate so I dont need to buy a new top box??  :305:
PSH

Offline T5Pilot

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Wakefield
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 01:34:41 PM
Your older top box will fit.  You need to buy a replacement rack cover (about £32) & trim the 'central hump' off it.  It's the only thing that's different to the fixing from the previous gen top box.
The 'hump' is hollow.  So if you don't want to have a spare (unmolested for cosmetic purposes only) & obviously save the £32, you could make a thin plate to cover the resulting hole instead.
Far better than shelling out for a new top box.
Or another option is to remove a small section from the base of your old top box, to allow the hump to sit in.  This should also be possible without penetrating the actual box itself.  But then if/when you sell it, it's damaged.
The first option is what my mate's gone with.  Perfect fit of his previous gen XR top box with the hump on the new XR trimmed.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 02:56:57 PM
*Originally Posted by T5Pilot [+]
Your older top box will fit.  You need to buy a replacement rack cover (about £32) & trim the 'central hump' off it.  It's the only thing that's different to the fixing from the previous gen top box.
The 'hump' is hollow.  So if you don't want to have a spare (unmolested for cosmetic purposes only) & obviously save the £32, you could make a thin plate to cover the resulting hole instead.
Far better than shelling out for a new top box.
Or another option is to remove a small section from the base of your old top box, to allow the hump to sit in.  This should also be possible without penetrating the actual box itself.  But then if/when you sell it, it's damaged.
The first option is what my mate's gone with.  Perfect fit of his previous gen XR top box with the hump on the new XR trimmed.

Thanks, pity you cant buy an aftermarket rack that will fit  :305:
PSH

Online Mab1067

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 03:34:28 PM
Bit or research this morning Givi have a SRA 5138 adaptor plate that will be available come November. Plate and new 56 ltr Box approx £380 tops. A couple hundred cheaper than the BMW case.
No reply from Shad as yet??

Offline Gothrick

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 06:22:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Mab1067 [+]
Bit or research this morning Givi have a SRA 5138 adaptor plate that will be available come November. Plate and new 56 ltr Box approx £380 tops. A couple hundred cheaper than the BMW case.
No reply from Shad as yet??
Hope SW Motech are watching I could do with an adapter plate for my 50 ltr T Ray top box which is now redundant!