Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: And another battery but Lithium Ion  (Read 715 times)

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
And another battery but Lithium Ion
« on: October 05, 2020, 01:42:44 PM »
The other weekend I and some mates decided to make the most of the what's was looking like the last of the sunshine for a few weeks, so I go the XR out switched it on and NOTHING! :230:

I used the XR a week before and it's on the BMW charger so not happy at all so ended up going on the F800st I have.  Two up made it a bit interesting as the suspension is not all that but good enough to keep tab's on my mate on his new Triumph 900 which is very nice in the green with a white frame "he's still running it in a bit, well that's his excuse  :016:" on the other hand my other mate on his new GS1250 just shot off out the bends, meh all in all round a nice day out.

Got back home and ordered a Lithium Ion battery it arrived the next day at 3pm  :047: very happy

I'm sure a some of you have them I was shocked at the weight, in old money 1lb and 10oz or 737 grams :005:   
the battery must be made by witchcraft I say, the box and the packaging heavier then the battery. :156:

After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: And another battery but Lithium Ion
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 02:17:26 PM »
Welcome too the 21st century  :002:...the post made me smile...if you ever want to put a question to some one living in a time warp ask a biker  :169:

Just remember you will also need a lith charger...but don’t expect to use it very often.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »
Thing is I work in IT for a global logistics’ company, if you want anything out of our place in a hurry up they lose it LOL!!!

I'm not big on the 7 days a week 24/7 lifestyle for parts it's not very often I need stuff in a hurry up like that, that and some sod in IT get's a call at 3am to say a printer has stopped and they cannot ship anything :008: namely me :151:
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »
Honestly they are such a quantum leap over the poxy lead acid option it boarders on the rediculous.

As for working 24/7 oh blimey i’ve been there done that ,2am in the morning....thinking jeez 9 hours to go and I was already at work, some how I had a brain wave of shovelling mortage money into a pension  :001:

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Just remember you will also need a lith charger...

I don't think this is the case....if it were, you wouldn't be able to use them in a bike, you'd need to change the bike's charging system to suit. The bike isn't aware the new battery is lithium and as you're aware, they work fine in the bike without changing anything.

My SSB lithium batteries, (and all other automotive lithium batteries I suspect), have internal charging circuitry to suit and can be charged by a normal Pb charger. I use 3 lithium motorcycle batteries to run my turbine powered Go-kart and use a normal Pb charger to charge them between uses....they're over 5 years old now and are still fine.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:48:07 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »
Plenty of info out there why you can’t use a modern day lead acid battery tender on a lithium battery, you’ll get away with a Stone Age battery charger but not the new stuff.

For what ever reason factory OE can handle lithium, but as I learned the had way when I bought an aftermarket Reg/Rec from Electrex World for my 955 Tiger and it all ended in tears.

Put up a red letter warning after my experience.

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 10:11:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Plenty of info out there why you can’t use a modern day lead acid battery tender on a lithium battery, you’ll get away with a Stone Age battery charger but not the new stuff.

For what ever reason factory OE can handle lithium, but as I learned the had way when I bought an aftermarket Reg/Rec from Electrex World for my 955 Tiger and it all ended in tears.

Put up a red letter warning after my experience.
Manual for the BMW original charger states that its not to be used for Li batteries?  :305:
PSH

Online Crosshairs

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 01:03:43 AM »
I believe you can use a regular charger as long as it does not have a desulfate function...chargers with that option   put out too high of a voltage  and will damage a lithium battery .

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 07:16:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Manual for the BMW original charger states that its not to be used for Li batteries?  :305:

When I say factory OE i’m Talking about the bikes charging system.

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »