Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New M Chain - maintenance free - 2020 XR  (Read 1252 times)

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Re: New M Chain - maintenance free - 2020 XR
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
I don't understand your original reason for replacing the OEM chain at 1000 miles.  I think your best option right now is to put away that M chain and wait for the OEM chain to wear out.

Online Rhincodon

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR SE
  • Town: Greatham, Hants
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 04:50:12 PM »
I have decided to keep original for now and wait until it wears out

I am intrigued by Scottoiler - I last had one on a VFR 750 in 1989! - they were vacuum powered then - but seem to have come on leaps and bounds etc - what model do u recommend and are they easy to fit?

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhincodon [+]
I am intrigued by Scottoiler - I last had one on a VFR 750 in 1989! - they were vacuum powered then - but seem to have come on leaps and bounds etc - what model do u recommend and are they easy to fit?

LOL...for the money you spend on the new Scott-Oiler....you could buy a couple of the new "M" chains..! :001:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Rhincodon

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR SE
  • Town: Greatham, Hants
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »
But you cant Smithy because its £480 for new M chain with sprockets and if scottoiler or similar keeps a regular chain ready for 15k  for £200 tops then the next one will still be more economical - or I am i missing something!

I will keep the topic updated for those who care - I am back to 3 days a week form tomorrow so that 120 miles per day round trip

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 10:15:17 PM »
I have a Chameleon Plus fitted to my XR. been on for 12000 miles, have not had to adjust my chain yet, but it does make a bit of a mess of the rear wheel(I have it set on the lowest setting).

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 05:40:10 AM »
But you cant Smithy because its £480 for new M chain with sprockets and if scottoiler or similar keeps a regular chain ready for 15k  for £200 tops then the next one will still be more economical - or I am i missing something!

I will keep the topic updated for those who care - I am back to 3 days a week form tomorrow so that 120 miles per day round trip

I hear ya mate... :001:

I made my own electronic oiler system three years ago...cost me $30 Aussie sheckles total and is still working perfectly today..

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »
I’ll be very surprised if the new chain turns out to be as “wunderbar” as they claim.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
Braking it all down physics and thermodynamics tell us that you get nothing for nothing it's all about the loss, so maintenance free NOPE I don’t believe it!  :084:

Yes in the small print it may states low maintenance fine but what does that mean?

It could be possible that the chain may wear very slowly of but that would mean that the sprockets would ware out quicker the heat and energy must go somewhere otherwise you are braking laws of thermodynamics, simples!

I guess that it’s a very nice bit of marketing and the people that do two to three thousand miles a year in the dry will go yep it works just great, cool for them.
For me I’ll stick to my good quality chain and sprockets and my chain cleaner and chain wax.

Hey happy to be proved wrong, I guess we’ll all see in time.   
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
I have decided to keep original for now and wait until it wears out

For me the cost isn't even an issue: it's the convenience that "sells" it for me. If you're commuting everyday in all weather, then the Scottoiler is a fabulous accessory. You don't need to clean the chain or oil it and it really extends the chain life considerably. I've used one for the last 15 years, starting off with the "old" vacuum-powered version. That one is a little finicky as it needs to be manually adjusted when the weather changes.

The new version, the eSystem, which incidentally is the only one you can fit to an XR, is much better. It's electronic and keeps the same flow rate regardless of the weather. Fitting it is pretty easy, as it requires no connections other than a battery connection. The dispenser mounts cleanly and easily to the swingarm bobbin mount. That said, it's much more expensive than the older versions at £250. But I find it so damn useful I just pay up. I couldn't be bothered lubing and cleaning my chain in the depth of winter.

If you're doing a lot of city riding, then the electronic version's accelerometer sensitivity needs to be adjusted to max sensitivity - the default setting turns the unit on at about 30mph, which is not good enough for city riding. Maximum setting for me turns it on between 15 - 20mph. This is actually a big improvement over the old one, since the vacuum driven version dispenses oil when the engine is running, so will keep flowing when you're stopped at a red light. The electronic one will stop dispensing when you're stopped at a red light.

I find the kit they give out today lacks by comparison to the older ones - they used to include silicon guide sleeves in the old kit, which they don't now: you have to buy them, which is a bit "cheap" for such an expensive piece of kit. Mounting the feed tubing using only 4 clips does not give a very good installation IMHO, as the delivery tubing will slide through the clips and bunch up and form a loop under the swingarm plastic protector plate (you have to leave a bit of slack in the tubing to allow for the swingarm movement, and this slack transfers to unwanted places if there's nothing keeping the tubing from sliding around, which is the case if you're just using the 4 supplied clips)

Installation is as simple as bolting the dispenser plate onto the bobbin mount, attaching the dispenser to the plate with the ring clip and then fixing the tubing along the underside of the swing-arm while mounting the reservoir on one of the frame struts. It really didn't take me long.

I actually epoxy the optional silicon guide sleeves to the underside of the swingarm and then superglue the tubing into the sleeve. This fixes it nice and solidly, and despite what you may think, is easily removed. Given that you use the correct expoxy, it's easy to remove with a heat gun (I've done it before and I tested the epoxy before doing it this time):  it comes off cleanly and easily in less than one minute using a heat gun set at 120 degrees celsius. The epoxy I used is Gorilla Glue epoxy, rated to 82 celsius. Beware of using something like JB Steel Weld, as that takes 250 degree+ temperatures to remove; just check the specs on the epoxy carefully before buying and you'll be able to remove it as easily as I did

Anyway, if you want some photos of the installation then PM me and I'll send you a few.

Online the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 05:01:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Braking it all down physics and thermodynamics tell us that you get nothing for nothing it's all about the loss, so maintenance free NOPE I don’t believe it!  :084:

lol. dont quit your day job (those fries arent gonna make themselves)

dysfunctional