Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New M Chain - maintenance free - 2020 XR  (Read 1621 times)

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Re: New M Chain - maintenance free - 2020 XR
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]

It could be possible that the chain may wear very slowly of but that would mean that the sprockets would ware out quicker the heat and energy must go somewhere otherwise you are braking laws of thermodynamics, simples!

I guess we’ll all see in time.
I see real opportunity for improvements in chain life.  If the metal is harder, if the o-rings are better, if the internal lubrication last longer, then there will be less friction and less heat generated and the chain will last longer.  The sprockets wear is dependent on the ability of the roller in the chain to "roll", again, if the internal lubrication last longer, the rolls will roll for more miles.

Like you said, time will tell.  But I don't thing this is a gimmick.

Offline Wyatt

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Custer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »
Perhaps the M Chain is just a step up in chain quality/design that will soon be copied by other chain makers and offered for a lessor price.  The technology doesn’t look difficult.  If it’s a chain you can run ‘dry’, I think that’s a notable improvement.

Dry chain - less grit – longer sprocket life?  Not accounting for those of you who keep their system clean via an automatic oiler.

I wonder how long is the chain likely to last if left alone?

Offline JerryG

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 12:06:42 PM »
Good question, but not what my M chain equipped 2021 XR Rider’s Manual recommends..

The press release uses the term "maintenance-free" three times with no mention of "low-maintenance". The applicable section in my 2021 Rider's Manual uses the term "low-maintenance" four times with no mention of "maintenance-free". 

Per the rider’s manual, low-maintenance means "cleaned and lubricated in the course of the annual service interval"...with the rest of the story being...and "In the interest of optimum service life, the low-maintenance chain can be additionally lubricated using a chain lubricant suitable for low-maintenance chains"...as well as..."Perform lubrication at shorter intervals if there is above average load from riding in salty, dusty or dirty conditions."

See https://www.s1000rrforum.com/threads/maintenance-free-chain.244425/#post-2378068 where I attached the announcement and the section from the manual.

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
  • Town: Boston, MA
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2020, 01:26:29 PM »
Based on my readings, the Endurance chain with no mainteance will last as long as a regular chain with regular maintenance. If an Endurance chain is maintained at the same interval as a regular chain one would think it would last a long long time.

dysfunctional