Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cush drive rubbers & new chain - which is dearer do you think?  (Read 595 times)

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Cush drive rubbers & new chain - which is dearer do you think?
« on: October 09, 2020, 11:53:59 AM »
I had the 18,000 mile service done a few weeks ago. £653 at Cotswold Motorrad including an MOT.

In the post service video they recommended that the chain and cush drive rubbers are replaced and the mechanic demonstrated the excessive movement of the rear sprocket. This goes some way to explain the lash in the transmission that has developed over the summer.

Anyway, to my surprise, a set of 5 cush drive rubbers is dearer than the new chain & sprocket kit. BMW dealers want £27 per rubber but Motorworks sell them for just over £17, so £90 with P&P. Ordered.

Yes, I know I could bodge the rubbers with some inner tube but I'm not that cheap!

From a previous thread, I knew a new chain & sprocket kit would cost around £100 but through a bit of fortune, Ebay sent me a short life 15% off code that worked at a limited number of retailers including Demon Tweeks. Bingo, a new DID VX chain (plain steel not gold) and a set of JT sprockets have just arrived, costing £83.69.

So, to conclude, a few bits of rubber cost me over £6 more than the chain & sprocket kit.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Cush drive rubbers & new chain - which is dearer do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 07:52:17 PM »
So what did they do for your 650 quid?

Online wessie

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 08:02:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
So what did they do for your 650 quid?

the standard 18,000 mile service as identified in a service schedule

Surely you have been on this forum long enough to know what this involves?

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »
Last time my bike saw the inside of a dealer was 3 years ago,my money gets spent on Dymags/Akra headers/Power Commanders and Wilber suspension so I have no idea what one gets for 650 quid or even imagine....particularly when afterwards when one is in formed their Cush drive is shagged, I presume that little bit of info is Free..

Online wessie

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »
Last time my bike saw the inside of a dealer was 3 years ago,my money gets spent on Dymags/Akra headers/Power Commanders and Wilber suspension so I have no idea what one gets for 650 quid or even imagine....particularly when afterwards when one is in formed their Cush drive is shagged, I presume that little bit of info is Free..

Well no need to worry yourself about such first world problems then. Go polish your tool cabinet.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 08:39:27 PM »
Who said anything about be worried? I was just asking the question but quite clearly you reluctant to explain what you got for your money.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:04 PM »
Who said anything about be worried? I was just asking the question but quite clearly you reluctant to explain what you got for your money.

Just look up the 18,000 mile service schedule. The reason I paid to have the service done at a BMW dealer is so that I do not have to worry about the minutiae of the schedule. I believe the service includes a fork oil change and valve check which bumps up the labour rate and hence the price.

It should be pretty obvious that the 18,000 mile service does not include the cost of replacement parts if the checks in the service schedule identify worn parts such as chain, brake pads, discs, tyres or cush rubbers.

Any clearer now?

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 08:18:39 AM »
Does the hourly / labour rate vary within the BMW dealer network? I.e can you get a like for like service cheaper at another main dealer?

Cotswold is my nearest, but I do always feel like I pay a slight premium for the  ‘flagship branch’ service, when I’d much rather have a down to earth service. Keep meaning to try North Oxford one day, but it’s more of a trip.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 09:38:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by orbits [+]
Does the hourly / labour rate vary within the BMW dealer network? I.e can you get a like for like service cheaper at another main dealer?

Cotswold is my nearest, but I do always feel like I pay a slight premium for the  ‘flagship branch’ service, when I’d much rather have a down to earth service. Keep meaning to try North Oxford one day, but it’s more of a trip.

there was a thread in the Facebook group recently, comparing prices and it has been discussed here I believe. One person was quoted over £800 for the 18k service. Bear in mind, my £653 included the £30+ fee for the MOT so I think Cotswold are less expensive than some dealers. That location is essentially on an out of town retail park and the overheads there must be less than a dealer in a city centre location.

I asked for a quote before booking the service and was quoted "about £650" so no surprises with the bill. The worn chain was pretty obvious as it is close to the adjuster limit but the cush rubbers was a surprise as the bike is not a Kawasaki.

Here's a link to the Facebook group with a search term of Cotswold https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWS1000XRowners/search/?query=cotswold&epa=SEARCH_BOX - if you search 18000 you will see prices a lot higher than what I paid

So yes, dealer prices vary, mostly due to different labour rates I guess. A dealer should be able to give an accurate quote as the times for each element of the service are determined by BMW.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »
'preciate the heads up on the cush-drive rubbers.

My 2016 bike is due the 18k service, but I recently had the wheel off for tyre change and the rubbers don't appear to have any backlash.