Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: So, Hilltop or power commander  (Read 10504 times)

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
So, Hilltop or power commander
« on: March 25, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
Just put 240 miles on the bike today, the first full day since fitting the full Akra in December. It's quite lumpy at low speeds, around town or in traffic. Get it going, and it's perfect, but I want to sort the low speed lumpiness. My GSA has been Hilltopped, and the results were great; plus, as a repeat customer I can get the XR done for £250.

My question is, how much is a power commander and the necessary software/ installation, and is that a better route to go down rather than Hilltop?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: So, Hilltop or power commander
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »
As I'm currently aware neither PC or Rexxer currently  do a product for the XR(they will)doing such is complicated,I could go into long winded detail suffice to say there is a lot of tech involved and they are good at what they do and it takes time.

When the PC turns up the the big question is how long it takes to fit,I did both on my r1100s and XT660 but was looking down the barrel of a minimum of 4 hours for the K1200 hence why I went the Rexxer route,just as good if not better and less hassle.

Forgot!! The software comes for free with the PC plus what ever you want extra if you want it custom mapped on a dyno.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:50:32 PM by Winger »

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE HP
  • Town: Nottingham

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »
You want Part number 12-022

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »
That's the US version it's not the same as what we need here,hence why with my 1100s there was a 2 year gap between the PC for the U.S 1100s and ours because of the fuel difference.

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
If it were a different ecu I'd probably agree, but America having different fuel isn't going to make any difference as when you get it mapped in the UK the readings are what they are, the guys mapping it will adjust the parameters accordingly.

Of course I wouldn't recommend pulling a pre produced map from an American bike as you're right, it'd likely not be optimum because of the fuel.

However I one of the UK dealers has listed this on their own Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/DynojetUK/posts/10156577271240096

Ultimately if it's available in the states and there's no ecu connection difference I'd pretty much say you'll be fine, it's easy enough to find out by banging out a couple of emails or phone calls

I've had pcv's from both the states and Australia for a ktm rc8, rc8r and a 2010 blade, all worked fine.

The rest of the bikes I've had have been direct ecu tuned (mainly twins)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:21:24 PM by damodici »

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
In fact I'd say you'll be fine with it.

A Dutch dealer is listing it and there's no fuel difference between there and here

http://powercommander.nl/dynojet-powercommander-pcv-bmw-s-1000-xr-2015-2016.html

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 06:45:15 PM »
Rich

You know its a stupid question and you know my answer

Hilltop sort it properly and it will adjust itself for altitude and pressure etc whereas the Pc` will be set up on a dyno on a certain day, temp pressure etc

Its a no brainer as you well know
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 10:34:29 PM »
You boys can do what you like,I'll be going Rexxer as and when,the only other option is a PC and having been this route seeing the Americans with PC's for a bike and yet the UK importer doesn't there are reasons for that,the crap they run on is a million miles away from what we use phone them up and ask.

As for your Hilltop man,in a strange way I like his style if he can shear the sheep at at 350 quid a pop good luck to him.

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
As for your Hilltop man,in a strange way I like his style if he can shear the sheep at at 350 quid a pop good luck to him.

I have no axe to grind, but this metaphor (if indeed it is one) made me chuckle.
S1000XR SE Sport