Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch microswitch failed  (Read 277 times)

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Clutch microswitch failed
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:43:34 PM »
The double microswitch on the clutch failed on my bike at 50,000 miles.  The bike wouldn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in.  So I rode to my local deal (Lind) and lo and behold they had one is stock!  Knock me down with an Akrapovic!

That will be £53 please sir.  WTF!  :005:  For a microswitch!!!!! (The parts fiche actually calls it a microwave, which might be good value at £53).

I may have uttered an expletive.

The parts person explained that it's expensive because the levers are made of a special iridium/rhodium alloy and internally the switch is lubricated with a mixture of castor oil and the secretions from the anal glands of the Himalayan yak (no - I made all that up!).

Anyway it works now.

Offline mjojom

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
Re: Clutch microswitch failed
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »
yes, you could have ordered that exact switch for .60p of ebay.
had same with ignition switch on GS that failed and bike would not turn off.
dealer wanted 3 weeks for switch to come, motorworks had one so ordered but could not wait so opened mine one, and found that water got inside of it.
gried it up, reasemble microswitch, used good amount of silicon around it so it will never happens again and job done 30 mins later. second hand from motorworks was 60 quid!

had also gear position switch failed on me, bloody cheap potentiometer that has worn out (ive dremel opened the (magic switch" ). thats good part of 160 quid they wanted, but sadly i have no way of fixing potentiometer runners. its sad how they can justify hundreds of times of profit margin on actual parts costs. 

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Re: Clutch microswitch failed
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:41:16 AM »
"yes, you could have ordered that exact switch for .60p of ebay"

Link please!