Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What XR bits start failing around 3-5yrs / 10000miles?  (Read 831 times)

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
What XR bits start failing around 3-5yrs / 10000miles?
« on: October 16, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
Hi all. My XR is about to run out of its warranty and so I’ve had the letter offering extended warranty through. It’s about £330/yr with a £100 excess for anyone curious. This means it’s only really worthwhile if it costs more than £430 in yr1 / £660 by yr2... etc, in warranty-covered failures, which I feel is quite high for a bike only 3-5 years young. So I’m looking for info on what folks have seen fail around this age / mileage.

Would others care to share any failures you’ve seen on XRs around the 3-5 year, or 7000-12000 mile range??

I’m not looking to debate the merits of extended warranty as that’s been done here already, but I’m just trying to get a sense of XR reliability at about this age/mileage. Cheers

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: What XR bits start failing around 3-5yrs / 10000miles?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 10:38:19 PM »
I bought my 2016 XR in July 2018, just after the 2 year warranty expired (as they were then)

I have not taken out the extended warranty on the bike. I still have that £660 in the bank as my cost for non-service parts has been zero. Same with my 2016 R1200RS, so I have over £1300 in the bank in a notional maintenance account for a rainy day.

I have owned vehicles since 1980 and never taken out an extended warranty: over those 40 years the premiums would have been many thousands of pounds into the hands of the insurance company.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 07:32:18 AM »
It’s complicated and i’ve no Doubt i’ll Explain this badly but here goes...

Extended warranties per se have been done to death, but the BM extended warranty came into its own with the advent of the K1200s/r that was launched in September 04, their were two versions of the 1200 until it morphed into the 1300 in 09.

I have owned my K for 11 years, you were considered bordering on the lunatic trying to run one without the extended warranty, I have lost track of what I have had replaced over the years at best turned a profit at worse broke even, it was only 4 years ago that I felt brave enough to go it alone so to speak.

So that is the background of what the BM warranty originated from, and they have continued it with all their models which frankly unless you are very unlucky highly unlikely you’ll need it, the only thing for you guys in it for the long haul is the rear ESA shock, and too be honest low mileage rear shocks will be plenty full at breakers, so after my waffle I’ve not seen a current BM the X/R included that I would feel the need for an extended warranty.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 07:34:14 AM by Winger »

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »
I certainly hear you both and trust me I’m looking for a good reason I should consider the EW, rather than reasons I shouldn’t. I’m not shy of spannering / repairing stuff and have been overhauling a 30yo Honda during lockdown which has kept me sane. It’s just everything on the XR is either bigger money, electronic, needs a 911, or all three! Hence me trying to get a sense of all that stuff that is cleverly engineered to die just outside of warranty, which my experience of at least lower-end BMW cars suggests they are rather masterful at. The ESA shock is probably a good shout, but I’d certainly hope it’s death is far enough away that I’d be quids in on keeping EW money in my pocket until then  :016:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »
When you have the like of James Sherlock selling a 1800 mile motor with all the bits still on it for 700 quid who the hell needs a warranty.

Offline LeftCoastKen

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Victoria, BC
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 04:02:22 PM »
I purchased my 2016 XR in Sept 2018.  It only had 14000 km on the odometer.  The factory warranty expired in Apr 2019.  I did purchase an extended warranty as I wanted to get past the first major service with warranty in hand.  Here in Canada the dealer offered two extended warranty options.  The BMW one was for 3 years for $2700.  The third party one was for 3 years for $2400 and if no claim is made on the warranty then you get $1200 back.  I went for the third party one.  I have road side assistance with my insurance provider so the only time a claim would be made was for major service and that would probably be $3000 minimum.  For me $1200 for 3 years of warranty was worth the piece of mind.

I am now at 48000 km and with no issues, I am confident that I will not need to use the warranty and will be getting a $1200 rebate after the 1.5 years of warranty remaining. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:06:49 PM by LeftCoastKen »

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr,
  • Town: Newcastle NSW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:08:29 PM »
I bought my xr December 2015. I had a water pump failure just out of warranty replaced free of charge. Since then the bike has been flawless apart from a small issue with the QS plug connector. Bit of electrical spray and good to go. I used to get extended warranties on major purchases but have never used them. I don’t bother these days. Just my opinion.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
On mine in 28K miles and 5 years I have had

800miles, 2months  ignition barrel
5000miles 9 months fork seal (right I think)
11000miles 15months left switch gear
13000miles 23months battery (and they did change it on warranty)

All that was under warranty

I am now upto 28Kmiles and the fork seals have gone again.

Other than that its had
2 sets of cush drives
3 sets of brake pads
1 rear shock (damping was getting crap at 18K miles)
1 coil stick
loads of tyres and general servicing items.

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »
The companies that sell extended warranties make money doing that business.  So, on average, repairs on an XR are less than the premium they charge.

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
Hi,

as always, any kind of insurance is a game of chance, like a lottery ticket. Of course, it's a winning game for the company, that's a given. Otherwise they would go out of business.
Then again, if your engine blows up twice in the covered period, you'll be happy you got the extension.
A piston problem at 11.000 RPM will almost always result in a wrecked engine and few people know how to solve that. I certainly don't, even if I had the time to do it  :002:.

It's the same with an all risk car insurance. If nothing happens, you feel cheated, if you wreck your almost new car because of your own fault, you're extremely grateful it was covered.

If you can afford all the possible risks, you never need to get that kind of coverage, but most people just aren't millionaires, so they either end up without a bike if it happens or need to get an additional loan to pay for it if it's not covered.

All the best,

Remo