Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Softer Spring on suspension  (Read 6434 times)

Offline mickthesaw

• XR Member
  • Town: South Yorks
Rear Softer Spring on suspension
« on: March 26, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »
Has anyone given any thought to a softer spring for the esa rear unit.?
Could it be done to cure the hard suspension in road mode.?
Most of my riding is B roads and unclassified, loving the bike but would like a softer mode.?
A roads its ace but on UK crap roads my back is getting a pounding... lol
900 miles on now and its bloomin marvelous
Mick

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Re: Rear Softer Spring on suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:26:33 AM »
It is a pretty firm ride.  This would be a good question to direct to BMW.  There are a lot of suspension/shock people out there that may be able to direct you to an independent dealer that could make some mods as well.  Good luck......
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:01 AM »
Being a complete numpty with regard to suspension I don't know whether it's the spring that makes it so firm but, like you, most of the roads I ride are minor roads which have suffered from neglect over the last few years and it's sometimes hard going. If a spring change helps I'd be interested.....

Offline mickthesaw

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »
Well not good news,I've contacted Hyperpro in Holland this morning and they have already tried to change the springs from a BMW dealers bike their.
Apparently it cannot be done as the electronics rely on the spring setting and changing the spring completely messes the suspension up.
I guess we will just have to keep pestering our Dealers about this issue and hopefully a software change might solve it.
Knowing BM it wont happen quick if at all

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE HP
  • Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by mickthesaw [+]
Well not good news,I've contacted Hyperpro in Holland this morning and they have already tried to change the springs from a BMW dealers bike their.
Apparently it cannot be done as the electronics rely on the spring setting and changing the spring completely messes the suspension up.
I guess we will just have to keep pestering our Dealers about this issue and hopefully a software change might solve it.
Knowing BM it wont happen quick if at all

Give Wilbers a try, they had  a spring available for the S1000r if i recall, but what you're experiencing is exactly why i went with the sport version.

Means i can switch springs out front and back

Offline mickthesaw

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 05:54:33 PM »
Thanks,but from what Hyperpro said I think its a no no unless you change out the whole unit.!
I've fired an email to BMW Berlin about this and the heated grips to see if they can do a software update in the future.
Might be futile but unless they here from their customers nothing changes and contacting BMW UK is a waste of time.

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »
would you believe I've just found this on their homepage, looks like it was only launched on the 24th.

Couldn't tell you what it says mind :)

http://www.wilbers.de/aktuelles_detail.php?id=97

Quick google translate:

Conventional Chassis: standard length, lowering - 30 mm, 20 mm suspension lift +

AdjustLine 640 Mono Road
The Robust: Equipped with a 46 mm piston they are fit for all strokes, often adjustable and available in many different designs. A strong alternative!
• Continuously variable spring pre-supplied hook wrench.
• 22-way adjustable rebound damping.
Standard Height Art 640-1172-00 499.00 EUR
Lift kit + 20 mm Art 640-1172-01 499.00 EUR
Lowering - 30 mm Art 640-1172-02 499.00 EUR
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

AdjustLine 642 Mono Competition
The Robust: Equipped with a 46 mm piston they are fit for all strokes, often adjustable and available in many different designs. A strong alternative!
• 22-fold adjustable low-speed compression damping.
• 22-fold adjustable high speed compression damping.
• Continuously variable spring pre-supplied hook wrench.
• 22-way adjustable rebound damping.
Standard Height Art 642-1172-00 799.00 EUR
Lift kit + 20 mm Art 642-1172-01 799.00 EUR
Lowering - 30 mm Art 642-1172-02 799.00 EUR
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hydraulic preload adjustment Type 625 (recommended)
The hydraulic spring preload (PA) to adjust the normal level for motorsports or the load! Maximum adjustment of spring preload by 10 mm (delivery always with holder).
Stand / + 20 mm / -. 30 mm Art 625-0046-00 199.00 EUR

Variable height adjustment Type 629
Length adjustment for adapting the suspension geometry (z. B. in Motor Sport). The strut is measured in the recordings, maximum (10 mm) +/- 5 mm longer or shorter!
Standard Height Art 629-0000-00 69.00 EUR

Variable height adjustment and hydraulic preload in combination possible.

WESA Dynamic
With adjustable Reservoirs, low and high speed compression.
· Hydraulic preload adjustment is performed by the original strut
· 629 not possible
· Höherlegung impossible
Note: demanding coupling and distribution exclusively through the Triple Tuning. Also a delivery to WESA authorized dealers or importers is not possible prior to a completed training.

Standard Height Art 644-1172-00 999.00 EUR incl. Demanding coupling of TT
Lowering - 30 mm Art 644-1172-02 incl. Demanding coupling of TT
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:27:13 PM by damodici »

Offline damodici

• XR Pro

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »
Go onto one of the Ducati forums,Ducati.MS will do and look around 2014 at what went on with the Ohlins version.

Offline mickthesaw

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 10:18:45 PM »
Hi Winger, thanks for that it looks like they put a heavier spring into their Ohlins suspenion,
But do we know who manufactures the XR D-ESA setup.?
Reading up on the D-Esa its completely different from anything that has been done before on ESA bikes going back to the GT's
Its supposed to monitor your riding lean angles road surface etc and adapt to the conditions.
Hyperpro were adamant that a springe change wouldn't work,perhaps speaking to Ohlins or Sachs might give a different answer..?
I dont want to/ or fancy spending another £1000 on a rear shock change though.

dysfunctional