Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Out with the AWFUL Nav VI and a welcome return to TomTom 500  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Triple Blk
  • Town: Essex
Re: Out with the AWFUL Nav VI and a welcome return to TomTom 500
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 11:56:31 AM »
Perhaps I am one of the few that like the NAV VI? I had a few problems when I got it - randomly changing pages etc. I rebuilt it with the latest software, loaded the maps into GPS memory rather than memory card and its been spot on since then. Maybe just lucky   :155:

I like the way it integrates into the bike, zoom in using the wonder wheel, change screens, repeat voice commands, control music etc. And when you get home you can look at lean angles, gear changes etc. I also have a K16GT, so I swap it between them, and it does feel more integrated with that sitting in the dash board and locks away. It also does things that it doesn't on the XR like setting up the time, linking into the fuel warning light - it pops a Garage POI Icon up on the screen. Do know why?

The IV has a slighty better screen over the V, but also has a downside - on the V I had a "McDonalds" Icon that was great for Euro tours in baking hot weather as they are all air conditioned. Just used to hit the button and get directed to the nearest one. For some reason they removed this function on VI  :008:

I do have to agree that Basecamp is pants - just a very old and hard to use bit of software. I think this is made for the masses of hikers, cyclists etc as well  :110:

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 12:32:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Macduff [+]
My memories of the BMW Nav history is the Nav V was an updated Zumo660 with the NAV VI being based (loosely) around the 590 internals as the exterior is more hacked out 660. Either way I have a partially functioning 660  holding the navigation fort for the moment. I also have a (mostly) dead 590 though it would work on bike If I swapped out the mounts, note both of these units have dead usb ports and neither will charge /connect for updates to a PC  via USB so the wifi XT updates seem a big plus over the slow unreliable USB ports.  I suspect my XT purchase can wait until after Chrimbo as I doubt I'll need any nav duties the 660 cant perform (its nearly winter here) and I need to fill the Missus's stockings (with gifts!) . That and I seriously feel the need for new rubber come the spring as these T31s just dont cut the scratching itch, plus I just bought myself a slip on can as a chrimbo pressie to myself ! wallet drain! its never ending...

Yes,  I think you are correct - the Nav5 is based on 660 architecture.  None seem to have the robustness of the old 550 mini-usb connector.

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Triple Blk
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
It was the NAV IV that was based on the 660 - it had a slightly smaller screen. The NAV V had a bigger screen and the changed the OS - similar to the 590. The NAV VI has a slightly bigger screen again and is brighter - better in sunlight, and a few small tweaks to the software.

Still not keen on sticking a £1,000 phone on my handlebars, but think that Sat Navs have had their day now and was told the NAV VI is the last of the line? Now all done through Phone Apps, Airplay etc. and if you have the latest TFT it does riding direction linked to your phone in your pocket.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
It was the NAV IV that was based on the 660 - it had a slightly smaller screen. The NAV V had a bigger screen and the changed the OS - similar to the 590. The NAV VI has a slightly bigger screen again and is brighter - better in sunlight, and a few small tweaks to the software.

Still not keen on sticking a £1,000 phone on my handlebars, but think that Sat Navs have had their day now and was told the NAV VI is the last of the line? Now all done through Phone Apps, Airplay etc. and if you have the latest TFT it does riding direction linked to your phone in your pocket.

I don't think that BMW will abandon separate GPS unit on their bikes. That new TFT navigation they have just revealed will probably be an upgrade to the current turn by turn navigation. If they, however, decide to abandon the Navigator and switch to TFT/Phone combo entirely, powering your phone remains a problem, because its battery will be empty after just a few hours of GPS usage. Not so convenient on long rides...
In addition, preparation for Navigator is still offered and sold by BMW for 2021 models too, and I don't see the logic behind selling the preparation for the device that would soon be abandoned entirely...

Navigator 7 based on Garmin XT is more likely IMHO. And I believe that they will introduce it in November, or perhaps early spring 2021
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:49:57 PM by esso_sa »

Offline Mab1067

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »
That will explain why my Local dealer has a special offer on at present. NAV VI reduced to £549. Probably better waiting and see if Updated NAV comes out next year. Just have to mod to fit my Garmin 390lm me thinks. Worked well for a few years now and transferred from K1300s. Bit of faff removing harness etc on XR though. Maybe try selling the old 390 and see what they are worth??

Online millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 04:24:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
Perhaps I am one of the few that like the NAV VI? I had a few problems when I got it - randomly changing pages etc. I rebuilt it with the latest software, loaded the maps into GPS memory rather than memory card and its been spot on since then. Maybe just lucky   :155:

I like the way it integrates into the bike, zoom in using the wonder wheel, change screens, repeat voice commands, control music etc. And when you get home you can look at lean angles, gear changes etc. I also have a K16GT, so I swap it between them, and it does feel more integrated with that sitting in the dash board and locks away. It also does things that it doesn't on the XR like setting up the time, linking into the fuel warning light - it pops a Garage POI Icon up on the screen. Do know why?

The IV has a slighty better screen over the V, but also has a downside - on the V I had a "McDonalds" Icon that was great for Euro tours in baking hot weather as they are all air conditioned. Just used to hit the button and get directed to the nearest one. For some reason they removed this function on VI  :008:

I do have to agree that Basecamp is pants - just a very old and hard to use bit of software. I think this is made for the masses of hikers, cyclists etc as well  :110:

No, I also think it is excellent...
BMW S1000XR TE

Offline Gothrick

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
Those crash sliders you've got on your bike, who makes them and what's the price ?
Thanks
They look like they're by Evotech Performance from the UK - £139.99 you may get 10% off if you ask nicely!

Offline bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 06:35:56 PM »
Ive used a TomTom for a number of years and so am familiar with it. I tried the NAV VI and soon reverted back to the TomTom. Just my personal preference. I have mates who use Garmins and are happy with them.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 07:14:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by bobdave [+]
Ive used a TomTom for a number of years and so am familiar with it. I tried the NAV VI and soon reverted back to the TomTom. Just my personal preference. I have mates who use Garmins and are happy with them.

I think this is completely on point 'you like what you are used to!'. Personally I like my Nav VI and have no issues with Basecamp (but those are what I have been using for a number of years), and I find the wonderwheel integration to be really useful.

Offline Molsal

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 01:59:13 AM »
Just watched a few tutorials on the Zumo XT, it's pretty impressive and very snappy and responsive . I might try one from amazon , the return window has been extended until 31st Jan 2021 so plenty of time to have a play and either keep or return if not impressed. I will report back in due course. I've noticed that it will fit on the mount I have fitted for my rider 500 so no dramas there. When I bought the Nav VI it my intention to fit the rider into our work car ,to replace an ageing garmin unit, I have a tomtom 620 in our volvo xc60 as the stock offering in the infotainment set up is a mare to programme. It's a no risk strategy using Amazon as their returns policy is very generous.

dysfunctional