Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Out with the AWFUL Nav VI and a welcome return to TomTom 500  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Molsal

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
Re: Out with the AWFUL Nav VI and a welcome return to TomTom 500
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 12:34:25 AM »
I had visions of it detaching and ending up under the rear wheel whilst giving it large coming out of a bend if fitted using sticky pads, I have a vivid imagination.

Offline Watshot

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
I’ve had a front mudguard extension stuck on with pads for over four years and 10k + miles with zero problems. If you follow the instructions and take the time to fit it properly it’s fine. Gives a more oem look as opposed to rivets/screws. But as with everything, it’s your choice what you do with your own bike.

Offline Gothrick

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »
Molsal you were right to rivet it on, mine did just as you imagined and came adrift when riding. Luckily I had a mate behind who saw it otherwise it would have been £20 wasted. I've put Pyramid Extenda Fenda's on at least six bikes I've owned so know how to fit them. Never had any problems fitting with the sticky pads until installed to the Gen2. The part of the mudguard you fit it to is actually already an attachment to the mudguard so in essence you're fitting an extender to an extender and it wobbles like f**k. No wonder it didn't last long with the sticky pads!

Sorry if this nothing to do with the original topic but just trying to help out a fellow S1XR

Offline AUXR1000

• XR Junior
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
I don't think that BMW will abandon separate GPS unit on their bikes. That new TFT navigation they have just revealed will probably be an upgrade to the current turn by turn navigation. If they, however, decide to abandon the Navigator and switch to TFT/Phone combo entirely, powering your phone remains a problem, because its battery will be empty after just a few hours of GPS usage. Not so convenient on long rides...
In addition, preparation for Navigator is still offered and sold by BMW for 2021 models too, and I don't see the logic behind selling the preparation for the device that would soon be abandoned entirely...

Navigator 7 based on Garmin XT is more likely IMHO. And I believe that they will introduce it in November, or perhaps early spring 2021
The new 10.25" TFT has full navigation built in which makes it just like a car, doesn't require a mobile phone to provide GPS etc.

Offline geo34s

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Warrington
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2020, 08:58:13 PM »
Hi mate,
Was it easy enough to swop over ? I've got a tom tom 550 which is only about 12 month old, I used it on my s1000r.
Cheers George

Offline bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2020, 10:21:51 PM »
George - I can only speak for the gen 1 and say that it was quite simple. I purchased a cable from 'Nippy Normans' to replace the NAV power cable with a TomTom compatible cable which plugs in under the front side panel UK kerbside, removed the existing cable (kept aside so I can replace it if/when I sell the bike), ran the new cable up through to the mounting bar using cable ties where needed to keep it tidy, removed the existing NAV mount (4 little nuts and bolts), fitteded the TomTom mount using the existing brackets and some slightly long bolts of the same thread as the existing ones (not sure where they came from as they were already in my garage). Job done. Hope that helps.

Online the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by AUXR1000 [+]
The new 10.25" TFT has full navigation built in which makes it just like a car, doesn't require a mobile phone to provide GPS etc.

i dont believe this is correct. I believe that its using the app on the riders phone.

Offline AUXR1000

• XR Junior
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2020, 10:43:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
i dont believe this is correct. I believe that its using the app on the riders phone.
So, it's basically Apple Car play/ Android Auto type operation?

Offline geo34s

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Warrington
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2020, 03:32:15 PM »
Thanks bobdave 👍

Online the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2020, 05:54:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by AUXR1000 [+]
So, it's basically Apple Car play/ Android Auto type operation?

i'm guessing it continues to use the BMW connect App, it only makes sense that they continue their investment on something they're already invested.

dysfunctional