Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Out with the AWFUL Nav VI and a welcome return to TomTom 500  (Read 1050 times)

Online Molsal

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
Out with the AWFUL Nav VI and a welcome return to TomTom 500
« on: October 18, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »
Hi all, I bought, and have now returned for refund the desperately poor Nav vI .I acn't understand BMW putting their monica to such a poor device.
Very poor response to touch inputs
Poor integration with Whiz Wheel
No wifi connectivity (really)
No GSM connectivity!!!
Relies on your phone connection for traffic and other services which require a subscription.
Basecamp should be call bootcamp, it's dreadful
Having wrestled with bootcamp, it then requires that you remove the nav unit and connect to a pc. Very handy on a tour.!!
Etc etc etc .
Plus side it has lovely rich colours on the diplay which is only spoilt by the high gloss screen which catches reflections badly. Cured by adding matt screen protector.
Cost an eye watering £545 .

TomTom ,plan routes on your smart device or pc , press send done. Full wifi and gsm sim connectivity at no charge.
 Map updates live traffic and speed cameras for life of unit at no charge .
 The excellent plan a thrill feature with selectable hilliness and twistyness, set by distance point on map or number of minutes or hours of ride lenght required. It's like going on a mystery tour.
Very responsive screen with settings for no gloves ,thin gloves or winter gloves, all bases covered.
If you stray from a planned route ,tom tom will direct you back to your chosen route, Nav VI bins your chosen route and defaults to fastest route, very annoying.
Aesthetically it does'nt look as pleasing to me .
Cost me £239, present price £299.
Anyway ,rant over . Jus be aware before you purchase the BMW (Garmin) unit.
A few pictures of my conversion from Garmin to TomTom included. I wired the TomTom into the same loom as the BMW unit minus the data cable.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:18:07 PM by Molsal »

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Out with the AWFUL Nav VI and a welcome return to TomTom 500
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
Sounds like a lot of your bitching - is in relation to what could be a faulty unit.

But - TomTom has their share of afficionados for sure.

Online Molsal

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
Second unit , both equally poor. Buyer beware. Not bitching , I'm reporting the facts as I have found them to be. Make your own mind up ! Have a £550 gamble!

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »
Those crash sliders you've got on your bike, who makes them and what's the price ?
Thanks

Offline Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »
Cheers for the review of the Nav VI . I was on the fence over whether to get a NAV VI for the integrated features & easy plugin (as my bike has the mount- currently filled with my old Zumo660) over a current Zumo XT. You confirmed my suspicions that the NAV VI was probably an old product given it came out around the same time as the Zumo 590 , and is now suffering when compared to more modern Nav units,  still has a high asking price new and even 2nd hand prices seem higher than new Zumo XTs.  Mind made up, now just need to find a slot in the monthly outgoings to fund a zumoXT.  I also hear BMW aren't going to update the NAV VI to VII as they are going with larger TFT displays with built in NAV for future model years.

Online Molsal

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:12 AM »
So basically it's a dead in the water product. Mine certainly felt that way. I think as you are a garmin man, the xt is the best route forward for you.

Online Molsal

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 11:05:07 AM »
I've just noticed that Amazon are selling the xt at 5 monthly interest free payments of £85 if that helps you out.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 11:06:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Macduff [+]
Cheers for the review of the Nav VI . I was on the fence over whether to get a NAV VI for the integrated features & easy plugin (as my bike has the mount- currently filled with my old Zumo660) over a current Zumo XT. You confirmed my suspicions that the NAV VI was probably an old product given it came out around the same time as the Zumo 590 , and is now suffering when compared to more modern Nav units,  still has a high asking price new and even 2nd hand prices seem higher than new Zumo XTs.  Mind made up, now just need to find a slot in the monthly outgoings to fund a zumoXT.  I also hear BMW aren't going to update the NAV VI to VII as they are going with larger TFT displays with built in NAV for future model years.

I think the equivalent of the 590 is the Nav5, not 6

Why not buy a S/H Nav 5 - they seem to without significant numbers of issues.    You can pick one up on bike forums for around £260-£290.   It is a shame to not utilise the thumbwheel that is fitted to most XRs.

A mate of mine has a fully-functional Nav6, maybe his is broken.

The XT sounds intriguing, as I believe it has full topographic mapping?   

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 11:13:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Molsal [+]
I've just noticed that Amazon are selling the xt at 5 monthly interest free payments of £85 if that helps you out.

That takes the sting out of the purchase!   

tempting price.

Offline Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 11:31:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I think the equivalent of the 590 is the Nav5, not 6

Why not buy a S/H Nav 5 - they seem to without significant numbers of issues.    You can pick one up on bike forums for around £260-£290.   It is a shame to not utilise the thumbwheel that is fitted to most XRs.

A mate of mine has a fully-functional Nav6, maybe his is broken.

The XT sounds intriguing, as I believe it has full topographic mapping?
My memories of the BMW Nav history is the Nav V was an updated Zumo660 with the NAV VI being based (loosely) around the 590 internals as the exterior is more hacked out 660. Either way I have a partially functioning 660  holding the navigation fort for the moment. I also have a (mostly) dead 590 though it would work on bike If I swapped out the mounts, note both of these units have dead usb ports and neither will charge /connect for updates to a PC  via USB so the wifi XT updates seem a big plus over the slow unreliable USB ports.  I suspect my XT purchase can wait until after Chrimbo as I doubt I'll need any nav duties the 660 cant perform (its nearly winter here) and I need to fill the Missus's stockings (with gifts!) . That and I seriously feel the need for new rubber come the spring as these T31s just dont cut the scratching itch, plus I just bought myself a slip on can as a chrimbo pressie to myself ! wallet drain! its never ending...