Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Carbon wheels or full suspension change. If you had choice..  (Read 491 times)

Offline AdzventureXR

• XR Member
  • XR my Vanagandr
  • Bike: 2016 XR
  • Town: Incheon City
Carbon wheels or full suspension change. If you had choice..
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:16:05 AM »
Hey riders,
Looking at my winter upgrades. Was hoping to get your input with suspension or wheel mods you have made.

For budget, what option would give me better gains for track and twisties

Option 1. Upgrade springs to match weight/fork oil and change out wheels to Bst carbon. This should provide improvement in handling/turn in along with brake and acceleration.

Option 2. Upgrade to Andreani Misano Fork Cartridge and wilbers rear shock along with springs.  Full adjustable suspension.

Look forward to your opinions
Life. RIDE. Adzventure
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
Enjoy my XR videos

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Carbon wheels or full suspension change. If you had choice..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »
On the basis that you could change to BST wheels, retaining the original suspension - you could be faced with a suspension failure of those original shocks/forks/ESA in the near future.    Then you will be forced to spend more money at that point.

Change the suspension, for decent adjustable stuff and get the wheels when you can afford them.   I think the suspension will need to be re-adjusted with the lighter wheels.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 10:17:40 AM »
Having trodden that path with 4 bikes(that I still own) and in the process of working on a 5th...the Dymags turned up 2 weeks ago my question to the OP is..Do you have ESA on the bike ?

All my earlier bikes are non electric, I went after market sus first and either Dymags or BST’s later, but ‘Huston we have a problem’...the KTMGT I bought last year did not have a non electric sus option, if there had been that would be my preferred choice, I do know my preload from my compression and rebound  :002:

But there wasn’t so i’m currently going into the unknown, the  Dymags turned up a couple weeks ago and assuming we get any decent weather...i’ll Get some Power RS put on and see how the electric sus deals with them and go from there.

Offline AdzventureXR

• XR Member
  • XR my Vanagandr
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 10:21:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Having trodden that path with 4 bikes(that I still own) and in the process of working on a 5th...the Dymags turned up 2 weeks ago my question to the OP is..Do you have ESA on the bike ?

All my earlier bikes are non electric, I went after market sus first and either Dymags or BST’s later, but ‘Huston we have a problem’...the KTMGT I bought last year did not have a non electric sus option, if there had been that would be my preferred choice, I do know my preload from my compression and rebound  :002:

But there wasn’t so i’m currently going into the unknown, the  Dymags turned up a couple weeks ago and assuming we get any decent weather...i’ll Get some Power RS put on and see how the electric sus deals with them and go from there.

Winger, I'm running ESA. Thanks for input
Life. RIDE. Adzventure
Enjoy my XR videos

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:29:56 AM »
K-Tech will be supporting the pre 20 XR now. So might be an option instead of the Andreani.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 08:20:16 AM »
Nothing to do with wheels and suspension, but while you are into weight saving...if you haven’t already fit a lithium battery, lead acid is from pre historic era which woukdn’t Be so bad if they didn’t weigh so much, have them on other bikes the oldest is close to 7 years old and still as good.

If you buy the BST’s post some photo’s  :001:, I have some on a K1200r Sport must be 8/9 years old now and they transformed the old tank  :001:

Offline AdzventureXR

• XR Member
  • XR my Vanagandr
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Nothing to do with wheels and suspension, but while you are into weight saving...if you haven’t already fit a lithium battery, lead acid is from pre historic era which woukdn’t Be so bad if they didn’t weigh so much, have them on other bikes the oldest is close to 7 years old and still as good.

If you buy the BST’s post some photo’s  :001:, I have some on a K1200r Sport must be 8/9 years old now and they transformed the old tank  :001:

I'm more thinking about dynamic weight of wheel turning. The static weight of my Guinness body can be the most savings.

Next battery will probably go lithium in any case. If I pull trigger will be in winter. Definitely will post pics.
Life. RIDE. Adzventure
Enjoy my XR videos

Offline AdzventureXR

• XR Member
  • XR my Vanagandr
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 04:45:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
K-Tech will be supporting the pre 20 XR now. So might be an option instead of the Andreani.

Thanks for letting me know, give them a call. Let me know how you get on with yours.
Life. RIDE. Adzventure
Enjoy my XR videos

dysfunctional