Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High windscreen  (Read 601 times)

Offline XRNewey

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Forest of Dean
High windscreen
« on: October 26, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
Can anyone confirm the height of the 'high windscreen' for the 2020 spec XR, available as a factory order option? I have one on order and am mulling having that as an option (and am aware of the aftermarket alternatives).TIA

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
Re: High windscreen
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 01:28:36 PM »
I have the high screen, but just replaced with the MRA variotouring VTM screen.  I'd say, save your cash and buy the MRA.
BMW S1000XR TE

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by XRNewey [+]
Can anyone confirm the height of the 'high windscreen' for the 2020 spec XR, available as a factory order option? I have one on order and am mulling having that as an option (and am aware of the aftermarket alternatives).TIA

Check this thread where I did a comparison between stock/high/MRA.
You will also find the dimensions of all 3

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,4623.0.html

After trying all three screens, I've also ended with MRA Touring Vario
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:57:16 PM by esso_sa »

Offline scotti

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR TE 2020
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 02:57:52 PM »
What Millview said.  Save your money. :0461:
Regards
Scotti

Offline pmxbmega

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR_2018
  • Town: Lisbon
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 05:24:39 PM »
Hi guys regarding this topic, a lot of diferent opinions are going to be pointed here, there is lot of factors envolved.

1st - your size (and this is not clear as water) some of us have more legs proportion than upper bodie and vice versa.
2st - ride (highway, twisted roads, mix) and ride speed
3rd - helmet aerodinamic

that are the manly factor.

Then there are the pros and cons of a High Windshield and a low windshield.
(
for a guy like my profile, height 5.11 with more legs proportion) 

High windscreen: "Wind over your helmet"
pros:
Less buffting if it covers your helmet between 90mph and 100mph.
More cosy in winter.

cons:
Less bike agility, starting at +/- 80 mph going worst to the top.
Possible Wobble behavior at hight speeds specialy with strong winds.
looking through the plastic, anoying to some of us.
Torbulence a hight speed over 100mph, producing "blury vision".

Low windscreen: "Wind on your chest"
Pros:
More bike agility.
No buffting or turbulence untill 95 to 100mph with a good aerodinamic helmet.
More fresh in spring and summer season.

Cons:
More turbulence on windy days, and at high speeds, need to duck behind the windscreen (sportbike position).

That is for me the main issues.

I'm using the normal BMW windshield size in winter, need to duck a litle if it's in the higher position to avoid hight turbulence at speeds over 100mph.

For the spring and summer I'm using the WRS windshield sport, but I had to handcraft it, to look like the new BMW S1000XR short WindShield, need to duck like a sportbike after the 100mph

So this is my windscreen setup. typicaly the roads I use are twisted, always avoid HighWays at all cost.

Don't use a windscreen that throws the wind directly to you helmet, it will never work at your favor after the 85mph.

Hope this topic helps, I've been there, trying lots of configs windscreens, in lot of bikes, and that is my conclusion.

Ride to live, live to ride ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:27:08 PM by pmxbmega »

Offline XRNewey

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
Thanks all, especially esso_sa  :232:as your previous post was really helpful, and sorry for not having spotted it before  :034:
Anyway, I have to say I'm not keen on the look of the MRA Vario, or others with that spoiler bit added, but do acknowledge that most here who have it say it is very good, so will certainly consider it. I guess buying anything will be a gamble!  :027:

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 05:48:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by XRNewey [+]
Thanks all, especially esso_sa  :232:as your previous post was really helpful, and sorry for not having spotted it before  :034:
Anyway, I have to say I'm not keen on the look of the MRA Vario, or others with that spoiler bit added, but do acknowledge that most here who have it say it is very good, so will certainly consider it. I guess buying anything will be a gamble!  :027:

Re the MRA looks, I wasn't keen on its looks either, but it actually looks much better in person than on the pictures.
Today I did a first (short) ride with MRA and my first impression is that it's much quieter than Comfort. You can still feel the wind at almost identical spots as with the Comfort screen, but with much less noise. It seems much more relaxed
So save your money on OEM Comfort screen and get an MRA.
And you're welcome   :028:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:50:16 PM by esso_sa »

Offline XRNewey

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »
I see Puig do a similar one, slightly different shape (in a positive way I think), which is cheaper too? Any thoughts?  :084:

Offline Vincentrapide

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by millview [+]
I have the high screen, but just replaced with the MRA variotouring VTM screen.  I'd say, save your cash and buy the MRA.
Exactly my experience. Specified the high screen with the new bike, turned out to be very poor in terms of noise and protection. The MSA is really good, for both me and my passenger.
Cheers

Offline Molsal

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 12:29:44 AM »
The MRA is way better quality than the very soft OEM offering, my MRA is super scratch resistant in comparison to the stock screen which marks at the slightest hint of abrasion.

dysfunctional